Additional understanding needed on proof involving Hermitian conjugates

In summary, the equation states that the integrals for f(x) and g(x) exist, and that they both go to zero as the function values get closer to the boundaries of integration.
TheFerruccio
I encountered this part in Griffith's Introduction to Quantum Mechanics that I have been unable to figure out. It is probably obvious, but I am not seeing it. I probably need more practice with operators in order to have it fully understood.

Equation 2.64 in the second edition states:

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{f^*}(a_{\pm}g)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(a_{\mp}f)^*gdx[/itex]

It starts out by making the substitution where [itex]a_\pm = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\hbar m\omega}}(\mp\hbar\frac{d}{dx}+m\omega x)[/itex]...

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^*(a_\pm g)dx=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\hbar m\omega}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^*(\mp\hbar\frac{d}{dx}+m\omega x)gdx[/itex]

From there, it states that the integrals must exist, which means that f(x) and g(x) must go to zero. This makes sense, since what is being done is normalizing, and a normalizable function must have values of 0 at the extrema.

What I don't understand is the next step, whereby it states that integration by parts takes [itex]\int f^*(\frac{dg}{dx})dx[/itex] to [itex]-\int(\frac{df}{dx})^*gdx[/itex]

How did they arrive at this? I tried writing it out, but I think I am not dealing with the operators correctly. What are the steps to arrive at this conclusion? It says that it has to do with the fact that the function values at the extrema disappear, but I am not seeing it when I write it out. It just ends up getting messy. The book skips over these steps, but I always include the explicit steps in my notes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]g'[/itex] be the thing you integrate during integration by parts, and [itex]f^{*}[/itex] the thing you differentiate. Then remember exactly what you said earlier, that these functions (g, f) are zero at the bounds of integration...

jfy4 said:
Let [itex]g'[/itex] be the thing you integrate during integration by parts, and [itex]f^{*}[/itex] the thing you differentiate. Then remember exactly what you said earlier, that these functions (g, f) are zero at the bounds of integration...

I think I am starting to see it.

I took [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^*(\mp\hbar\frac{d}{dx}+m\omega x)gdx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^*\mp\hbar\frac{dg}{dx}dx+\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^*(m\omega x)dx[/itex]

That allows me to continue on to the final part of the proof. Thanks!

However, one thing I do not understand, is how the * moves about during the proof.

For instance, when I used the integrals, I was able to arrive at:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\hbar m\omega}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(\pm\hbar g(\frac{df}{dx})^*+f^*m\omega xg)dx[/itex]

But, I do not see how I am to go from there to...

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\hbar m\omega}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}((\pm\hbar\frac{d}{dx}+m\omega x)f)^*gdx[/tex]

Also, wow, my LaTeX is breaking for me. I don't see what I'm doing wrong that's causing the crazy errors. I'm getting lots of W's with lines through them, in boxes.

Anyway, in hopes that the LaTeX doesn't break again, here's another example of my confusion:

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(a_\pm\psi_n)^*(a_\pm\psi_n)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(a_\mp a_\pm\psi_n)^*\psi_n dx[/itex]

I am absolutely not seeing why the * orders that way. Why can't it be...

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\psi_n}^*a\mp a\pm\psi_n dx[/itex] ?

Last edited:
TheFerruccio said:
Also, wow, my LaTeX is breaking for me. I don't see what I'm doing wrong that's causing the crazy errors.
The two broken LaTeX formulas both contain an expression of the form
Code:
\frac{A}{\sqrt{B}
That seems to be the only problem here. In case you're not aware of the 50 character bug, you also need to know that if you type 50 characters without a space, vBulletin will insert one that usually breaks the code. The workaround is to type more spaces.

I also recommend tex tags instead of itex when you want the math image to appear on a line of its own. (When you use tex tags, don't type any line breaks before and after. If you want a comma or a period at the end, put it before the closing tex tag).

Consider
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(f^* \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} + f^* x g)dx
[/tex]
Let [itex]u=f^*[/itex] and [itex]v'=g'[/itex]. Then using integration by parts
[tex]
uv-\int u'v=\int uv'
[/tex]
we can see that
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f^* \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} dx=f^* g |_{-\infty}^{\infty}-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\partial f^{*}}{\partial x} g dx
[/tex]
but what are [itex]f, g[/itex] at infinity? The result follows.

1. What is a Hermitian conjugate?

A Hermitian conjugate, also known as an adjoint, is the complex conjugate transpose of a given matrix or operator. This means that we take the complex conjugate of each element in the matrix and then transpose the resulting matrix.

2. Why is it important to understand Hermitian conjugates?

Hermitian conjugates play a crucial role in the study of linear algebra and quantum mechanics. They allow us to define and manipulate complex numbers, which are essential in understanding physical systems that involve quantum mechanics.

3. How are Hermitian conjugates used in proofs?

In proofs, Hermitian conjugates are often used to show that a matrix or operator is self-adjoint. This means that the matrix is equal to its own Hermitian conjugate, which has important implications in the study of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the relationship between Hermitian conjugates and eigenvalues?

The eigenvalues of a Hermitian conjugate matrix are always real numbers, whereas the eigenvalues of a non-Hermitian matrix can be complex numbers. This is because Hermitian conjugates preserve the realness of eigenvalues, making them useful in the study of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Hermitian conjugates?

Yes, Hermitian conjugates have many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and control theory. They are also used in solving differential equations and modeling physical systems.