Is Man Adequately Showered on 7-Day Workweek?

• Thread starter whozum
  • Start date
In summary, the man follows a cycle of showering every other day, with an occasional exception. He believes that one shower per day is adequate, but there is debate on whether this is truly enough for cleanliness. The type of work and living conditions may also play a role in determining the adequacy of his showering routine.
whozum
On day 1 of the year 2005 a man wakes up late for work, immediately gets dressed and leaves for work.
He does not have time to shower before leaving, and resolves to shower when he gets home. He arrives home at 1130pm and takes a shower, and is in bed by midnight.

He wakes up the next day and decides not to shower, since he had showered merely a few hours ago the night before, so he heads off to work and resolves to shower when he returns home. However, when he returns home on this day (Day 2) he is extremely fatigued and goes to sleep, resolving to shower the next morning.

On day 3, the man wakes up, showers, goes to work, returns home and falls asleep.

On day 4, the man wakes up late for work, heading out without showering, he returns home at 1130 and showers before bed. (exactly the same as day 1)

The process continues indefinitely, he works 7 days a week, and has absolutely no way of showering at work or by any means except in the manner above. The question is, is the man adequately showered?

Physics news on Phys.org
whozum said:
The question is, is the man adequately showered?
How much showering is adequate?

As someone who hasn't showered since 2003, I would say the guy is obsessive-compulsive. But ...
He showers two days out of three. When he gets to work on one of the days in the cycle, he hasn't had a shower in more than 24 hours and still has the whole day ahead of him. Only his colleages can say if that is adequate.

Well, one shower pertaining to a day is adequate. Ideally, one showers once every 24 hours, but the probelm here is decigin whether his scheme works.

jimmy: ?

its probably enough showering to pass without getting strange looks. on the other hand, if you are really interested in attracting the righth kind of attention, i don't know if its enough.

good job jimmy. another like 8 years without showering and you might make a world record :)

whozum said:
The question is, is the man adequately showered?

One question: Can one consider that, no matter how dirty one is, a single shower will get one clean?

If so, there is no cumulative effect. The man is going 1 1/2 days between showers - he spends an extra 12 hours unclean.

If one considers that regular showering is vital to getting clean, then no, he is not adequately clean. The man is showering only 2 times for every 3 days that pass. After 9 days, he will have showered only 6 times, etc.

then he is not adequately showered before showering and adequately showered after the showering

thats almost exactly like my showering routine. so i guess i'd better hope its adequate...

frankly, showering everyday is bad for your skin and hair anyways. especially if you have hard water or harsh soaps and shampoos.

i'm weird about my showers though. i like to play with the temperature of the water when I'm in there, make it really hot, than freezing cold, then slowly warm it up, then slowly make it cold. and like, i only soap when the water's a certain temp and shampoo at a different temp, and everything has a designated hotness or coldness that's best.
Oh, and i know I'm totally getting sidetracked, but thinking of showering is really cool... but ya, the best showers are when its really really hot out. you go in the shower and put it on luke warm, than freezing cold so you cool off, and then really hot to get all the sweat off your body, and then cold again to feel refreshed. and then you do all the cleaning stuff. I love that though. mmm...

anyways, you he showers plenty, least in my book. unless he's a really bad smelling guy, or if he sweats a lot... of has some weird circumstances... i like afternoon showers, they hard to make regular, so you either end up showering too much or too little... whatever... boys are smelly anyways, and I'm pretty sure i never smell very bad.

i also think that the occupation the person has affects this. if you work at the office and they have like AC its possible he doesn't sweat as much as say a landscaper. also a landscaper should shower after work cause no one wants to sleep all dirty [especially if there's a spouse or signifigant other sleeping next to the worker].

You guys are being too critical of the problem! It isn't an analysis of the persons hygiene, but merely a matter of whether he is fulfilling his (idealistic) personal need to shower for each day.

One question: Can one consider that, no matter how dirty one is, a single shower will get one clean?

If so, there is no cumulative effect. The man is going 1 1/2 days between showers - he spends an extra 12 hours unclean.

If one considers that regular showering is vital to getting clean, then no, he is not adequately clean. The man is showering only 2 times for every 3 days that pass. After 9 days, he will have showered only 6 times, etc.

You bring interesting points, and this is exactly what I wanted to see. The answer to your original question is, once the man showers he is clean. However, my dilemma with this problem is as follows:

You wake up, go through your day, and shower that night. Are you unclean throughout the day? You showered for that day. You have cleansed yourself. The man is alternating between this condition and the morning-shower condition. Though on day 4 he was unable to shower that morning, he still took his shower for that day later on, and thus had showered for that day. That shower is also enough to get him by for the next day.

Say he showers monday night, then goes through his day, but instead of showering tuesday night, he showers wednesday morning. The man has been asleep for the time he was 'unclean', thus his hygiene isn't really an issue, is it? Wouldnt him showering wednesday morning and tuesday night be pretty much equivalent, for the sake of the long run?

My thoughts in the long run were that for the first and last day of the sequence, the man would be idealistically showered, however, for every day inbetween, he has showered for each day he lives, is clean throughout the process, yet has only showered 2/3s the amount that he idealistically would need to.

T@P said:
its probably enough showering to pass without getting strange looks. on the other hand, if you are really interested in attracting the righth kind of attention, i don't know if its enough.

good job jimmy. another like 8 years without showering and you might make a world record :)
No way. In the middle ages bathing was considered unhealthy, and people went twenty years without taking a bath, even in upper class society. They just wore a lot of perfume.

whozum said:
Though on day 4 he was unable to shower that morning, he still took his shower for that day later on, and thus had showered for that day. That shower is also enough to get him by for the next day.

A "shower for that day" - as in "Wednesday he showered at 11:30PM" is irrelevant. Having a shower Wednesday night does not constitute "being clean on Wednesday".

A shower is only relevant in terms of how long one can go afterwards and still be considered "clean". If a maximum of 24 hours can elapse before one is considered unclean, then he is not clean all day Thursday since his last shower was Wednesday morning before work. Same with Sunday and every third day afterward.

(We can assume that it is OK to sleep unclean, which he does Tuesday, Friday, Monday and every subsequent third night.)

His routine repeats each 3 days:
Day 1 he goes to work dirty;
Day 2 he goes to work clean but goes to sleep dirty (which is OK);
Day 3 he is clean all day and night.

T@P said:

I didn't know that it was about time without a shower: I haven't showered in my life and I am 14.9 years old. :tongue:

whozum said:
jimmy: ?

The answer is in my post whited out.

<<<GUILLE>>> said:
I didn't know that it was about time without a shower: I haven't showered in my life and I am 14.9 years old. :tongue:
Please tell me that's because you take daily baths.

actually if you are thinking of the stink/sweat issue you could easily get yourself coated with axe for like a week and probably ward of sweat and unpleasant odors so I am guessing you will theoretically smell clean.

is it just me or am i getting the feeling that this getting more and more personal? (starting with the first post, inclusive, if you know what i mean. if you don't its ok)

I would not say the man is adequately showered.

The first day, the man is dirty for the day, then showers in the evening. Since he does not accumulate significant dirt while sleeping, he goes to work clean the next day. He goes to bed dirty, but showers in the morning, so he is clean day 3. But since he doesn't shower between day 3 work and day 4 work, he is dirty day 4. This goes on and on. So taking an average of 2 showers for 3 days, the man is clean for 2 out of 3 days... exactly as expected.

DaveC426913 said:
Please tell me that's because you take daily baths.

ahhahah...I was just kidding: I do take showers; all days.

I just can't live dirty: its very irritating and detesting being muhc time without cleaning (the maximum I've been was three weeks and it was a singularity: I was 7 years old and find out that Santa didn't exist; this is a very dificult part of a child's life).

What? Santa? Doesn't exist?

Rahmuss said:
What? Santa? Doesn't exist?

haha, good one.

Let me tell you something...He doesn't! He is in fact, your parents!

Amazing news, when I got to know about it, it was the time I felt wiser in my life (you usually feel like that when you learn something really big). even more than when I asked my father: why if I get on top of a stone, and tr to lift the stone, I can't? My father started talking me about physics, something with a funny name (gravity) and other strange things, he even used strange numbers and letters (algebra)! (I was 4 years old, by the way) and he talked to me for two hours. But I didn't understand why until I had duplicated my age.

<<<GUILLE>>> said:
I asked my father: why if I get on top of a stone, and tr[y] to lift the stone, I can't? My father started talking me about physics, something with a funny name (gravity) and other strange things, he even used strange numbers and letters (algebra)!
I asked my Dad the same question. He said, "Sure, you can lift it, honey. You're just not trying hard enough."

I really hated him sometimes. :mad:

Math Is Hard said:
I asked my Dad the same question. He said, "Sure, you can lift it, honey. You're just not trying hard enough."

I really hated him sometimes. :mad:
He sounds even meaner than my dad. Since I wasn't strong enough to lift a cow, he had me lift a calf, instead. Then I had to lift it every day until it was fully grown.

And speaking as a person who spent a lot of time lifting cows... No, he isn't adequately showered! He needs to shower everyday after work.

Of course, he works 7 days a week and doesn't get home until 11:30 every night. It's not like he's ever going to have a girl friend, anyway, so what's the point of showering at all.

<<<guille>>> just hope that you father talk about sumthing like anti-graviton and say that is how to move a stone easily ^^

ArielGenesis said:
<<<guille>>> just hope that you father talk about sumthing like anti-graviton and say that is how to move a stone easily ^^

YEAH,

Higgs, dark energy...he tolled me that when asked him two days later about how I could lift it. I have know thought about an answer: in water (for ex: in a pool), I would be able of being on a stone and lifting it-lifting me.

1. Is there any scientific evidence that supports showering on a 7-day workweek?

Yes, there have been numerous studies that have shown the benefits of showering regularly, including on a 7-day workweek. Showering helps to remove bacteria and dirt from the skin, preventing infections and promoting overall cleanliness and hygiene.

2. How often should a person shower on a 7-day workweek?

The frequency of showering can vary depending on personal preference and individual needs. However, it is generally recommended to shower at least once a day, especially on days where one is physically active or exposed to dirt and sweat. This is important for maintaining good hygiene and preventing the spread of bacteria and germs.

3. Can showering too often on a 7-day workweek be harmful to the skin?

While showering regularly is important, excessive showering can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. It is important to find a balance and to use mild and moisturizing products to avoid damaging the skin.

4. Are there any benefits to taking a cold shower on a 7-day workweek?

Yes, there are several potential benefits to taking a cold shower on a 7-day workweek. Cold showers can help to improve circulation, boost the immune system, and improve mood and alertness. They can also be beneficial for muscle recovery after physical activity.

5. Is it necessary to use soap when showering on a 7-day workweek?

Using soap is an important aspect of showering, as it helps to remove dirt, bacteria, and oils from the skin. However, it is important to choose a mild and gentle soap to avoid stripping the skin of its natural oils. Additionally, for those with sensitive skin, using soap every day may not be necessary and can potentially cause irritation.