Adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Elvis 123456789
Messages
158
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


An ideal monatomic gas has initial pressure Po and occupies initial volume Vo. The gas undergoes an adiabatic expansion in which the volume is doubled. Calculate in terms of Po and Vo

a) the final pressure of the gas

b) the change in its enthalpy during the expansion

Homework Equations


I posted two attachments with my attempted solutions. All the relevant equations are there. Just posting to see if anyone can spot anything wrong with my solutions. I feel fairly confident about part a, but not so much about part b.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • thermo hw.png
    thermo hw.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 901
  • thermo hw b.png
    thermo hw b.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 946
Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:
I feel fairly confident about part a, but not so much about part b.
In part b you treated T as constant during the process.
 
TSny said:
In part b you treated T as constant during the process.
Yeah that's the part I felt most uncomfortable about. Is this the right approach then, or do I have to go about it another way?
 
Elvis 123456789 said:
Yeah that's the part I felt most uncomfortable about. Is this the right approach then, or do I have to go about it another way?
Using the equation pVγ=const for adiabatic processes?
 
ehild said:
Using the equation pVγ=const for adiabatic processes?
yes that's it! thanks :)