1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint of linear operators

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must show several properties about linear operators using the definition of the adjoint operator.
    A and B are linear operator and ##\alpha## is a complex number.
    The first relation I must show is ##(\alpha A + B)^*=\overline \alpha A^*+B^*##.

2. Relevant equations
    The definition I have an an adjoint is: ##A^*## is the adjoint of ##A## if ##\langle g,Af \rangle = \langle A^* g ,f \rangle## where f and g are any vectors in a Hilbert space.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let ##C^*=(\alpha A+B)^*##. Using the definition of adjoint I get: ##\langle C^*g,f \rangle=\langle g, Cf \rangle \Rightarrow \langle (\alpha A+B)^*g ,f \rangle =#### \langle g, (\alpha A+B)f \rangle =\langle g, \alpha A \cdot f \rangle + \langle g, Bf \rangle = \alpha \langle g, Af \rangle + \langle g ,Bf \rangle = \alpha \langle A^*g, f \rangle + \langle B^*g ,f \rangle##.
    But I'm getting lost. I've no idea how I can obtain A, B, A^* and B^* using the definition of the adjoint.

Oh wait, on my draft I think I have finished the "proof". The last expression is worth ##\langle \overline \alpha A^*g ,f \rangle + \langle B^* g, f \rangle = \langle (\overline \alpha A^* + B^*)g ,f \rangle##. Then by associativity ##(\alpha A+B)^*=\overline \alpha A^* + B^*##.
    Does this look right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so you proved

[tex]<(\alpha A + B)^* g,f> = <(\overline{\alpha}A^* + B^*)g,f>[/tex]

But how do you obtain from there that ##(\alpha A + B)^* = \overline{\alpha}A^* + B^*##?

4. Apr 8, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Good question, I don't know. To simplify the notation I must show that if ##\langle Dg, f \rangle = \langle Eg,f \rangle## then D=E, where D and E are linear operators; for any inner product in a Hilbert space.
    When I look at the definition of the inner product, I only see the positive definiteness, linearity and conjugate symmetry. I don't see how that would help me.

5. Apr 8, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Something that I think would help is the axiom ##<x,x>=0## then ##x=0##. Because this is the only axiom that allows you to begin with the inner product and end with a statement about a vector.

Let's prove a more general thing. Let x,y be vectors such that ##<x,z> = <y,z>## holds for all z, then x=y.

To prove this, note that the above is equivalent to saying ##<x-y,z>=0## for all z. Does this give you a hint?

6. Apr 8, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'm not 100% sure.
    Here is my attempt: ##\langle x ,z \rangle =\langle y, z \rangle## holds for all z.
    I add "-y" in the first argument of each side (can I really do that without demonstrating that the equality still hold?) to get ##\langle x-y,z \rangle =\langle y-y ,z \rangle = \langle 0 ,z \rangle =0##
    So that ##\langle x-y, z \rangle =0## must hold for all z. This implies that ##x-y=0##. End of proof.

P.S.:Yes I can add -y in the first argument of the inner product. To prove it is simple, using the linearity of the inner product.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This implication is not very clear. why does ##<x-y,z>=0## for all z imply that ##x-y=0##?

8. Apr 8, 2013 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is of utmost importance to mention that the operators are bounded and defined everywhere on the Hilbert space, else one needs a new reasoning.

9. Apr 8, 2013 #8

fluidistic

Gold Member

Because in particular ##z=x-y##. So we have ##\langle x-y , x-y \rangle =0##, which is possible if and only if ##x-y=0##. Thus ##x=y##. End of proof?
    Is is the same as showing that the operators are continuous over the whole Hilbert space?

10. Apr 8, 2013 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, good point.

No, continuity is an alternative assumption to boundedness, because for ∞-dim separable Hilbert spaces the 2 notions are equivalent.

11. Apr 8, 2013 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is a connection between continuity (and equivalent: boundedness) and being everywhere defined.

A linear operator ##T:D\rightarrow H## is usually defined on a dense subset ##D## of the hilbert space ##H##. Now, it turns out that if ##T## is continuous on ##D##, then there exists a unique extension of ##T## on the entire Hilbert space H. This is called the BLT theorem (BLT = bounded linear transformation). So if ##T## is continuous on a dense subset, then we can make it everywhere defined.

If ##D## is not dense, then we can only extend ##T## on ##\overline{D}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted