Adjoint of linear operators

In summary: However, if ##T## is not continuous on ##D## then its extension on ##\overline{D}## may not be unique.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I must show several properties about linear operators using the definition of the adjoint operator.
A and B are linear operator and ##\alpha## is a complex number.
The first relation I must show is ##(\alpha A + B)^*=\overline \alpha A^*+B^*##.

Homework Equations

The definition I have an an adjoint is: ##A^*## is the adjoint of ##A## if ##\langle g,Af \rangle = \langle A^* g ,f \rangle## where f and g are any vectors in a Hilbert space.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##C^*=(\alpha A+B)^*##. Using the definition of adjoint I get: ##\langle C^*g,f \rangle=\langle g, Cf \rangle \Rightarrow \langle (\alpha A+B)^*g ,f \rangle =#### \langle g, (\alpha A+B)f \rangle =\langle g, \alpha A \cdot f \rangle + \langle g, Bf \rangle = \alpha \langle g, Af \rangle + \langle g ,Bf \rangle = \alpha \langle A^*g, f \rangle + \langle B^*g ,f \rangle##.
But I'm getting lost. I've no idea how I can obtain A, B, A^* and B^* using the definition of the adjoint.

Oh wait, on my draft I think I have finished the "proof". The last expression is worth ##\langle \overline \alpha A^*g ,f \rangle + \langle B^* g, f \rangle = \langle (\overline \alpha A^* + B^*)g ,f \rangle##. Then by associativity ##(\alpha A+B)^*=\overline \alpha A^* + B^*##.
Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so you proved

[tex]<(\alpha A + B)^* g,f> = <(\overline{\alpha}A^* + B^*)g,f>[/tex]

But how do you obtain from there that ##(\alpha A + B)^* = \overline{\alpha}A^* + B^*##?

micromass said:
OK, so you proved

[tex]<(\alpha A + B)^* g,f> = <(\overline{\alpha}A^* + B^*)g,f>[/tex]

But how do you obtain from there that ##(\alpha A + B)^* = \overline{\alpha}A^* + B^*##?
Good question, I don't know. To simplify the notation I must show that if ##\langle Dg, f \rangle = \langle Eg,f \rangle## then D=E, where D and E are linear operators; for any inner product in a Hilbert space.
When I look at the definition of the inner product, I only see the positive definiteness, linearity and conjugate symmetry. I don't see how that would help me.

Something that I think would help is the axiom ##<x,x>=0## then ##x=0##. Because this is the only axiom that allows you to begin with the inner product and end with a statement about a vector.

Let's prove a more general thing. Let x,y be vectors such that ##<x,z> = <y,z>## holds for all z, then x=y.

To prove this, note that the above is equivalent to saying ##<x-y,z>=0## for all z. Does this give you a hint?

I'm not 100% sure.
Here is my attempt: ##\langle x ,z \rangle =\langle y, z \rangle## holds for all z.
I add "-y" in the first argument of each side (can I really do that without demonstrating that the equality still hold?) to get ##\langle x-y,z \rangle =\langle y-y ,z \rangle = \langle 0 ,z \rangle =0##
So that ##\langle x-y, z \rangle =0## must hold for all z. This implies that ##x-y=0##. End of proof.

P.S.:Yes I can add -y in the first argument of the inner product. To prove it is simple, using the linearity of the inner product.

fluidistic said:
So that ##\langle x-y, z \rangle =0## must hold for all z. This implies that ##x-y=0##.

This implication is not very clear. why does ##<x-y,z>=0## for all z imply that ##x-y=0##?

It is of utmost importance to mention that the operators are bounded and defined everywhere on the Hilbert space, else one needs a new reasoning.

micromass said:
This implication is not very clear. why does ##<x-y,z>=0## for all z imply that ##x-y=0##?

Because in particular ##z=x-y##. So we have ##\langle x-y , x-y \rangle =0##, which is possible if and only if ##x-y=0##. Thus ##x=y##. End of proof?
dextercioby said:
It is of utmost importance to mention that the operators are bounded and defined everywhere on the Hilbert space, else one needs a new reasoning.
Is is the same as showing that the operators are continuous over the whole Hilbert space?

fluidistic said:
Because in particular ##z=x-y##. So we have ##\langle x-y , x-y \rangle =0##, which is possible if and only if ##x-y=0##. Thus ##x=y##. End of proof?[...]

Yes, good point.

fluidistic said:
[...]Is is the same as showing that the operators are continuous over the whole Hilbert space?

No, continuity is an alternative assumption to boundedness, because for ∞-dim separable Hilbert spaces the 2 notions are equivalent.

There is a connection between continuity (and equivalent: boundedness) and being everywhere defined.

A linear operator ##T:D\rightarrow H## is usually defined on a dense subset ##D## of the hilbert space ##H##. Now, it turns out that if ##T## is continuous on ##D##, then there exists a unique extension of ##T## on the entire Hilbert space H. This is called the BLT theorem (BLT = bounded linear transformation). So if ##T## is continuous on a dense subset, then we can make it everywhere defined.

If ##D## is not dense, then we can only extend ##T## on ##\overline{D}##.

1. What is the adjoint of a linear operator?

The adjoint of a linear operator is a mathematical concept that represents the transpose of the operator's matrix representation. It is a way to find the corresponding dual space of a given vector space.

2. How is the adjoint of a linear operator calculated?

The adjoint of a linear operator is calculated by taking the transpose of the matrix representation of the operator and then taking the complex conjugate of each element in the matrix.

3. What is the relationship between the adjoint of a linear operator and its dual space?

The adjoint of a linear operator is closely related to its dual space. In fact, the adjoint operator can be seen as a map from the dual space to the original vector space. This means that the adjoint can be used to define a bilinear form on the vector space.

4. How is the adjoint of a linear operator used in functional analysis?

In functional analysis, the adjoint of a linear operator is used to define the concept of self-adjointness, which is a key property in studying operators on Hilbert spaces. It is also used in spectral theory, where it helps to determine the spectrum of an operator.

5. Can the adjoint of a linear operator be defined for infinite-dimensional vector spaces?

Yes, the adjoint of a linear operator can be defined for infinite-dimensional vector spaces. In fact, it is a crucial concept in studying operators on infinite-dimensional spaces, such as Hilbert spaces, where the notion of orthogonality is important.