Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adobe flash player crash on both my computers repeatily.

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    Hi

The Adobe flash player kept crashing and really slow down both my laptops. One is Win 7 Pro and the other is Win 8. I can hear the fan running hard, the mouse is very slow responding. Then finally a pop up saying the Flash player crashed and ask whether I want to stop the plug in. It happens a few times a day.

I uninstalled and reinstalled to the latest version twice and it did not help. Is there anything I can do. I assume I cannot live without the Flash player!!!!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Maybe the problem lies elsewhere. Is the fan running hard in both laptops? If the mouse is slow to respond, the CPU is probably very busy doing other things.

You can use Windows Task Manager to see what processes and applications are running. It might be that there are a bunch of things running that don't need to be running. To start Task Manager, press CTRL - ALT- DEL. The bottom choice in the menu that opens is Start Task Manager. There are tabs for Applications, Processes, Services, Performance, Networking, and Users. I would look at Applications and Processes first.

I would also look at the Windows Event Viewer to see what events have been logged. In Win 7, go to the Start button, and in the search box at the bottom, type Event Viewer. Start Event Viewer and when its window opens, expand Windows Logs, and then select System. It will take a few seconds, but then you should see a whole bunch of event notifications in the System pane. Scroll down and look for warnings (yellow triangle) or errors (red stop sign).

With Win 8, which I don't have, search for Event Viewer and do the same as above.

Let us know what you find out.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    Increasing the amount of memory flashplayer is permitted to use, (the cache), may stop the crashing, see ... http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html#117152

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  5. Sep 29, 2014 #4
    I looked at the task manager, nothing takes up a whole lot of memory. The only one that sometimes take up to 30% is the IExplore. But that's it. Actually their is always a pop up window saying that the Flash player stop working and ask whether I want to stop the plug in. And when I say yes and stop the plugin, both computers goes back to normal.

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5
  7. Sep 29, 2014 #6
    Here's another way to get to the flashplayer settings-manager ...

8. Oct 1, 2014 #7
    Please excuse my (biased) personal opinion but especially in light of how much Flash is used on the Internet, one would think Adobe would maintain it better but it is quite flawed, to put it politely. One solution is to begin the changeover to using HTML5 instead. Even Netflix is moving to full HTML5 compatibility. It's a healthy start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook