Adobe flash player crash on both my computers repeatily.

In summary, the Adobe flash player crashed and slow down both my laptops. One is Win 7 Pro and the other is Win 8. I can hear the fan running hard, the mouse is very slow responding. Then finally a pop up saying the Flash player crashed and ask whether I want to stop the plug in. It happens a few times a day. I uninstalled and reinstalled to the latest version twice and it did not help. Is there anything I can do. I assume I cannot live without the Flash player!
yungman
Hi

The Adobe flash player kept crashing and really slow down both my laptops. One is Win 7 Pro and the other is Win 8. I can hear the fan running hard, the mouse is very slow responding. Then finally a pop up saying the Flash player crashed and ask whether I want to stop the plug in. It happens a few times a day.

I uninstalled and reinstalled to the latest version twice and it did not help. Is there anything I can do. I assume I cannot live without the Flash player!

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
Hi

The Adobe flash player kept crashing and really slow down both my laptops. One is Win 7 Pro and the other is Win 8. I can hear the fan running hard, the mouse is very slow responding. Then finally a pop up saying the Flash player crashed and ask whether I want to stop the plug in. It happens a few times a day.

I uninstalled and reinstalled to the latest version twice and it did not help. Is there anything I can do. I assume I cannot live without the Flash player!

Thanks
Maybe the problem lies elsewhere. Is the fan running hard in both laptops? If the mouse is slow to respond, the CPU is probably very busy doing other things.

You can use Windows Task Manager to see what processes and applications are running. It might be that there are a bunch of things running that don't need to be running. To start Task Manager, press CTRL - ALT- DEL. The bottom choice in the menu that opens is Start Task Manager. There are tabs for Applications, Processes, Services, Performance, Networking, and Users. I would look at Applications and Processes first.

I would also look at the Windows Event Viewer to see what events have been logged. In Win 7, go to the Start button, and in the search box at the bottom, type Event Viewer. Start Event Viewer and when its window opens, expand Windows Logs, and then select System. It will take a few seconds, but then you should see a whole bunch of event notifications in the System pane. Scroll down and look for warnings (yellow triangle) or errors (red stop sign).

With Win 8, which I don't have, search for Event Viewer and do the same as above.

Let us know what you find out.

Increasing the amount of memory flashplayer is permitted to use, (the cache), may stop the crashing, see ... http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

What are storage settings?
Applications that run in Flash Player may want to store some information on your computer, but the amount they can store is limited to 100 kilobytes unless you agree to allocate additional space.
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html#117152

Last edited:
Likes yungman
Mark44 said:
Maybe the problem lies elsewhere. Is the fan running hard in both laptops? If the mouse is slow to respond, the CPU is probably very busy doing other things.

You can use Windows Task Manager to see what processes and applications are running. It might be that there are a bunch of things running that don't need to be running. To start Task Manager, press CTRL - ALT- DEL. The bottom choice in the menu that opens is Start Task Manager. There are tabs for Applications, Processes, Services, Performance, Networking, and Users. I would look at Applications and Processes first.

I would also look at the Windows Event Viewer to see what events have been logged. In Win 7, go to the Start button, and in the search box at the bottom, type Event Viewer. Start Event Viewer and when its window opens, expand Windows Logs, and then select System. It will take a few seconds, but then you should see a whole bunch of event notifications in the System pane. Scroll down and look for warnings (yellow triangle) or errors (red stop sign).

With Win 8, which I don't have, search for Event Viewer and do the same as above.

Let us know what you find out.
I looked at the task manager, nothing takes up a whole lot of memory. The only one that sometimes take up to 30% is the IExplore. But that's it. Actually their is always a pop up window saying that the Flash player stop working and ask whether I want to stop the plug in. And when I say yes and stop the plugin, both computers goes back to normal.

Here's another way to get to the flashplayer settings-manager ...

Please excuse my (biased) personal opinion but especially in light of how much Flash is used on the Internet, one would think Adobe would maintain it better but it is quite flawed, to put it politely. One solution is to begin the changeover to using HTML5 instead. Even Netflix is moving to full HTML5 compatibility. It's a healthy start.

1. Why does my Adobe Flash Player keep crashing on both of my computers?

The most common reason for Adobe Flash Player crashes is outdated software. Make sure to regularly update your Flash Player to the latest version to avoid crashes.

2. How do I fix Adobe Flash Player crashes on my computers?

First, try updating your Flash Player to the latest version. If the crashes continue, try disabling any browser extensions or add-ons related to Flash Player. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies.

3. Can a virus or malware cause Adobe Flash Player crashes?

Yes, viruses or malware can interfere with the functioning of Adobe Flash Player and cause crashes. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and remove any threats.

4. Is there a specific website or application that is causing my Adobe Flash Player to crash?

It is possible that a specific website or application is causing the crashes. Try using Flash Player on a different website or application to see if the crashes persist. If they do not, then the issue may be with the specific website or application.

5. Is it necessary to have Adobe Flash Player installed on my computers?

It depends on your usage. Some websites and applications still use Flash Player for multimedia content, but many have switched to newer technologies. If you do not frequently encounter websites or applications that require Flash Player, it may be unnecessary to have it installed.