Is Adobe trying to pull a fast one?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pull
In summary: There are no downsides to disabling JavaScript in Adobe Acrobat. PDF files can still be opened and searched, copied, and pasted.
nomadreid
Gold Member
How concerned should I be when the latest update for Adobe Flash Player includes the following paragraph?

"7. Connectivity and Privacy. You acknowledge and agree to the following:
7.1 Use of PDF Files. When you Use the Software to open a PDF file that has been enabled to display
ads, your Computer may connect to a website operated by Adobe, an advertiser, or other third party.
Your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”) is sent when this happens. The party hosting the site may
use technology to send (or “serve”) advertising or other electronic content that appears in or near the
opened PDF file. The website operator may also ... personalize advertising content. ... Adobe may not have access to or control over features that a third party may use, and the
information practices of third party websites are not covered by the Adobe Online Privacy Policy."

Not to mention that 7.2 makes you accept automatic updates.

For the moment, until someone on this forum can give me a good idea as to how much more spam this will bring me, I will not update. Any help would be appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I wouldn't be all that concerned. Flash is a dying technology anyway. Wouldn't be a big deal not to update. I remember they tried this a few years ago and ended up rolling it back.

Likes nomadreid
nomadreid said:
When you Use the Software to open a PDF file that has been enabled to display
ads

I didn't know PDF files could display ads and open web pages without me clicking on hyperlinks in them...

berkeman said:
I didn't know PDF files could display ads and open web pages without me clicking on hyperlinks in them...
PDFs can do pretty much anything I suspect, unless you disable javascript in the reader. Otherwise they wouldn't be a malware vector.

Likes jim mcnamara
Wabbit is spot on. PDF's are a security problem, as are any file objects that can support runing vbscript or js when opened. MSWORD, Excel, etc. This warning, or whatever or want to call it, is really Adobe covering their butts for people misusing their product. Originally PDF was a display only format. Then users demanded the ability to "edit" PDF objects. Then more bells and whistles. With that extended ability comes an extended liability.

PS: Your Adobe reader probably can already execute embedded code without the newest update. I first learned about this back in 2010.
http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/pdf-tools/

Agreed. The first thing to do with a reader (for me) is go the the settings and disable scripting support (this can be done easily in adobe reader but scripting is enabled by default). This is very seldom used for useful purposes (mostly forms) but is a very definite security risk. Unfortunately, embedded readers in browsers don't always offer that possibility (I'd be happy to find one that does, actually).

Likes berkeman
The thing that bothers me is that when downloading an update or a new version of a program I seem to get little surprises along with them. I updated java and all of a sudden a Bing search bar appeared. I updated the mapping program that my local county uses and shazam Google was gone and the Ask bar was there. Neither one could be deleted. I had to set Google as my preferred search engine.

edward said:
The thing that bothers me is that when downloading an update or a new version of a program I seem to get little surprises along with them. I updated java and all of a sudden a Bing search bar appeared. I updated the mapping program that my local county uses and shazam Google was gone and the Ask bar was there. Neither one could be deleted. I had to set Google as my preferred search engine.
Java version 8 update 45? I downloaded, and installed, it fine without any Bing search appearing.

edward said:
The thing that bothers me is that when downloading an update or a new version of a program I seem to get little surprises along with them. I updated java and all of a sudden a Bing search bar appeared.
This has been a standard "feature" of the Java updates for as long as I remember and is common to lots and lots of programs/updates. Pro tip: always do a "custom" install of every program you ever install so that you can see what else it wants to do that you should know about. You can pretty much always opt not to install the extra carp.
SteveTNZ said:
Java version 8 update 45? I downloaded, and installed, it fine without any Bing search appearing.
The "feature" described by edward can be disabled in the Java Control Panel. Maybe you disabled it long ago and forgot about it:

Java.jpg

Likes davenn, Borg and edward
Are there any downsides to disabling JavaScript in Adobe Acrobat? Will that prevent me from searching for words, or from copying words out of a PDF file to paste into other applications?

wabbit said:
Agreed. The first thing to do with a reader (for me) is go the the settings and disable scripting support (this can be done easily in adobe reader but scripting is enabled by default). This is very seldom used for useful purposes (mostly forms) but is a very definite security risk. Unfortunately, embedded readers in browsers don't always offer that possibility (I'd be happy to find one that does, actually).
Where do you find settings? My Adobe reader does not see to have one. It has a ton of stuff under preferences but I can't find anything about scripting.

phinds said:
It has a ton of stuff under preferences but I can't find anything about scripting.
I unchecked this, but I don't know if it's the right deal or not...?
Adobe JavaScript.JPG

Right, that's what I was referring to - in the preferences, uncheck "Enable Acrobat javascript".

Likes OCR
wabbit said:
Right, that's what I was referring to - in the preferences, uncheck "Enable Acrobat javascript".
Ah, good... thank you, wabbit!

berkeman said:
Are there any downsides to disabling JavaScript in Adobe Acrobat? Will that prevent me from searching for words, or from copying words out of a PDF file to paste into other applications?
It doesn't disable that for me, but its an easy setting to toggle back on if you find you miss some functionality.

There is an alternative it seems : under "security" and "advanced security" you can play with a number of subtle settings that appear to fine tune which documents you allow to do what - but I don't understand it, it's far too complex for me - the on/off button is all I use. And I use the "off" position only.

nomadreid said:
Your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”) is sent when this happens.
The IP Address is always sent as part of any internet request. Otherwise, the receiving server wouldn't know where to send the response.

russ_watters said:
This has been a standard "feature" of the Java updates for as long as I remember and is common to lots and lots of programs/updates. Pro tip: always do a "custom" install of every program you ever install so that you can see what else it wants to do that you should know about. You can pretty much always opt not to install the extra carp.

The "feature" described by edward can be disabled in the Java Control Panel. Maybe you disabled it long ago and forgot about it:

View attachment 83797

I don't recall going that deep into Java settings -- maybe there was an option in a previous upgrade that I un-ticked that was the same setting. But I checked my settings and that particular setting is un-ticked.

1. Is Adobe trying to pull a fast one?

There is no clear answer to this question as it is subjective. Some people may feel that Adobe is trying to deceive or cheat them, while others may not see it that way. It is important to carefully consider the facts and make your own judgement.

2. What actions has Adobe taken that suggest they are trying to pull a fast one?

Some people have expressed concerns about Adobe's pricing strategies, such as their move to a subscription-based model for their Creative Cloud software. Others have raised issues with their licensing agreements or updates to their software that may disadvantage users.

3. What is Adobe's response to accusations of trying to pull a fast one?

Adobe has not officially responded to these accusations. However, they have addressed concerns about their pricing and licensing on their website and in forums, stating that their goal is to provide the best value and experience for their users.

4. How can I protect myself from Adobe's attempts to pull a fast one?

It is important to carefully review any agreements or contracts before agreeing to them, and to stay informed about any changes to Adobe's policies or practices. It may also be helpful to seek out alternative software options or to communicate your concerns directly to Adobe.

5. Why do some people believe that Adobe is trying to pull a fast one?

There are a variety of reasons why some individuals may have this belief, such as past experiences with Adobe, changes in pricing or policies, or rumors and misinformation circulating online. It is important to research and consider multiple perspectives before forming an opinion.