AdS/CFT book that includes prerequisites

In summary, there are several resources available for beginners to learn about AdS/CFT, including lecture notes and a book by Natsuume. There is also a more advanced book that expands on these notes. For someone with a background in QFT, quantum mechanics, general relativity, and thermodynamics, studying AdS/CFT should not be difficult. It is also recommended to have some knowledge of string theory, but it is not necessary. The only tip for learning the prerequisites quickly and efficiently is to have more self-confidence.
Joker93
Hello!
Is there any book on Gauge/Gravity duality(or AdS/CFT correspondence) that includes a pedagogical and detailed overview on its prerequisites?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Yes, the most readable introduction to AdS/CFT for beginners:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1409.3575
Looks good. There's also a book that expands these notes. Thank you.

I have also found https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107010349/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Maybe you are familiar with it?

My concern is that maybe theese notes/books don't include the prerequisites in a pedagogical enough way. But, this is expected by a more advance book I suppose..

Joker93 said:
Yes, but this one is more advanced (and less pedagogical in my opinion).

Joker93 said:
My concern is that maybe theese notes/books don't include the prerequisites in a pedagogical enough way. But, this is expected by a more advance book I suppose..
Natsuume is absolutely the best for a start.

Joker93 said:
Looks good. There's also a book that expands these notes. Thank you.

Thanks! I will use it then!
If you also know of any resource that contains only the prerequisites(without any AdS/CFT), please suggest it.

Joker93 said:
If you also know of any resource that contains only the prerequisites(without any AdS/CFT), please suggest it.
It depends on your current level of knowledge.

Demystifier said:
It depends on your current level of knowledge.
Would you like me to tell you my background briefly?

Joker93 said:
Would you like me to tell you my background briefly?
If you wish to.

Demystifier said:
If you wish to.
Thank you.

I am currently self-studying QFT from Peskin. I have just finieshed the 2nd chapter(scalar field theory). I also use the lecture videos and notes of Tong.
I have also just finished learning Second Quantization from the book "Quantum Field Theory for the gifted amateur" by Lancaster and Blundell. Today I will be learning about some applications to condensed matter physics from the same book.
I have also a good background on Relativistic Quantum Mechanics(about 100 pages from Greiner's textbook with the same name) and Classical Field theory.
I have also studies General Relativity(not Cosmology) at the level of Weinberg's book(supplemented it with Zee's book and Hartle's for intuition).
I also took an undergrad course on Thermodynamics and Statistical physics.
I also have a strong background on Quantum Mechanics at the level of Shankar(and some chapters from Sakurai). I supplemented it with Zettili's textbook and Griffith's textbook.

I am just an undergrad and I want to get into AdS/CFT as fast as possible because I am considering on writing my undergrad dissertation on it.
This summer I will be attending two private courses: one on advanced condensed matter physics(with the goal of reaching Weyl semimetals). The professor of the other course aims to teach me the essentials of QFT and String theory that are needed for AdS/CFT.

Your background for studying AdS/CFT is quite sufficient. Perhaps you can also take a course in string theory at the level of Zwiebach (A First Course in String Theory), but it's not necessary.

Demystifier said:
Your background for studying AdS/CFT is quite sufficient. Perhaps you can also take a course in string theory at the level of Zwiebach (A First Course in String Theory), but it's not necessary.
Oh OK. So are there any tips you could give me in order to learn the prerequisites as fast and efficiently as possivble?

My only tip is - be more self-confident! :smile:

Likes Saph, smodak, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
My only tip is - be more self-confident! [emoji2]
Haha, this is maybe the single most important advice! Thanks

Likes Demystifier

1. What is AdS/CFT and why is it important in physics?

AdS/CFT stands for Anti-de Sitter/Conformal Field Theory and is a theoretical framework that relates two seemingly very different theories, namely quantum field theory (CFT) and gravity in a curved space-time (AdS). It is important because it provides a way to study the properties of strongly interacting systems, such as those found in particle physics and condensed matter physics, using the tools of gravity and string theory.

2. What are the prerequisites for understanding AdS/CFT?

The prerequisites for understanding AdS/CFT include a solid understanding of quantum field theory, general relativity, and string theory. It is also helpful to have a background in mathematical concepts such as differential geometry, group theory, and topology.

3. Is there a specific book that covers the prerequisites for AdS/CFT?

Yes, there are several books that cover the necessary prerequisites for understanding AdS/CFT. Some popular choices include "String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction" by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John Schwarz, "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz, and "Gravitation" by Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler.

4. Can AdS/CFT be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, AdS/CFT has been successfully applied to various real-world systems, including the study of the quark-gluon plasma in high-energy nuclear collisions and the behavior of strongly correlated electrons in condensed matter systems.

5. Are there any ongoing developments or challenges in AdS/CFT research?

Yes, there are always ongoing developments and challenges in AdS/CFT research. Some current areas of focus include understanding the holographic nature of AdS/CFT, exploring its implications for black hole physics, and further developing the mathematical tools needed to study strongly interacting systems using the AdS/CFT correspondence.