1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Energy AdS/CFT book that includes prerequisites

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    Hello!
    Is there any book on Gauge/Gravity duality(or AdS/CFT correspondence) that includes a pedagogical and detailed overview on its prerequisites?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

4. Jun 16, 2017 #3
    Looks good. There's also a book that expands these notes. Thank you.

I have also found https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Gravity-Duality-Foundations-Applications/dp/1107010349
    Maybe you are familiar with it?

My concern is that maybe theese notes/books don't include the prerequisites in a pedagogical enough way. But, this is expected by a more advance book I suppose..

5. Jun 16, 2017 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes, but this one is more advanced (and less pedagogical in my opinion).

Natsuume is absolutely the best for a start.

6. Jun 16, 2017 #5
    Thanks! I will use it then!
    If you also know of any resource that contains only the prerequisites(without any AdS/CFT), please suggest it.

7. Jun 16, 2017 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It depends on your current level of knowledge.

8. Jun 16, 2017 #7
    Would you like me to tell you my background briefly?

9. Jun 16, 2017 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

If you wish to.

10. Jun 16, 2017 #9
    Thank you.

I am currently self-studying QFT from Peskin. I have just finieshed the 2nd chapter(scalar field theory). I also use the lecture videos and notes of Tong.
    I have also just finished learning Second Quantization from the book "Quantum Field Theory for the gifted amateur" by Lancaster and Blundell. Today I will be learning about some applications to condensed matter physics from the same book.
    I have also a good background on Relativistic Quantum Mechanics(about 100 pages from Greiner's textbook with the same name) and Classical Field theory.
    I have also studies General Relativity(not Cosmology) at the level of Weinberg's book(supplemented it with Zee's book and Hartle's for intuition).
    I also took an undergrad course on Thermodynamics and Statistical physics.
    I also have a strong background on Quantum Mechanics at the level of Shankar(and some chapters from Sakurai). I supplemented it with Zettili's textbook and Griffith's textbook.

I am just an undergrad and I want to get into AdS/CFT as fast as possible because I am considering on writing my undergrad dissertation on it.
    This summer I will be attending two private courses: one on advanced condensed matter physics(with the goal of reaching Weyl semimetals). The professor of the other course aims to teach me the essentials of QFT and String theory that are needed for AdS/CFT.

11. Jun 17, 2017 #10

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Your background for studying AdS/CFT is quite sufficient. Perhaps you can also take a course in string theory at the level of Zwiebach (A First Course in String Theory), but it's not necessary.

12. Jun 17, 2017 #11
    Oh OK. So are there any tips you could give me in order to learn the prerequisites as fast and efficiently as possivble?

13. Jun 19, 2017 #12

Demystifier

Science Advisor

My only tip is - be more self-confident! :smile:

14. Jun 19, 2017 #13
    Haha, this is maybe the single most important advice! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted