1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advanced Calculus Sequence Convergence

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the sequence {a_n} converges to A if and only if lim n--->∞ (a_n-A)=0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It's an if and only if proof, but I'm not sure how to prove it. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try writing each statement in epsilon-delta form, and compare.

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    I'm not good at writing proofs. So far I have:
    Let {an} converge to A. Given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. lan-Al<epsilon for all n>N.
    So l((a_n)-A)l<epsilon for all n>n.
    Thus, we can write lim n--->infinity (a_n-A)=0.

Then, I'm not sure how to prove the statement's converse. Can someone help?

5. Sep 20, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, how did you prove it in the forward direction? Can you simply reverse the reasoning?

6. Sep 20, 2012 #5
    I'm not sure how to write the reverse. Would I start with: lim n--->infinity(a_n -A)=0. So given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. la_n-Al<epsilon for all n>N.

I don't know if this is correct, and I don't know where to go after that.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct. But what's the difference between this:

([itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (a_n - A) = 0)[/itex]: "So given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. la_n-Al<epsilon for all n>N."

versus what you wrote earlier:

([itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = A)[/itex]: "Given epsilon>0, there exists N>0 s.t. lan-Al<epsilon for all n>N."

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7
    I'm not sure. I don't know if I have it written correctly. I feel like I'm working in circles.

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Look at the definitions! "[itex]a_n[/itex] converges to A" means "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist an integer N such that if n> N, [itex]|a_n- A|< \epsilon[/itex]".

Applying exactly the same definition, "[itex](a_n- A)[/itex] converges to 0" means "Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist N such that if n> N, [itex]|(a_n-A)- 0|< \epsilon[/itex]".

But [itex](a_n- A)- 0[/itex] is just [itex]a_n- A[/itex]!

Remember that definitions in mathematics are "working definitions"- you use the precise words of definitions in problems and proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook