Advanced Javascript Courseware Recommendations

• Java
  • Thread starter Ryoko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Javascript
In summary, the individual is looking for recommendations for advanced javascript courseware for self-study. They are already proficient in OO languages and familiar with HTML/CSS, but need more advanced training in JavaScript. They have found subscription courseware but are unsure of its quality. They have been advised to explore resources such as StackOverflow, Eloquent JavaScript, and the Definitive Guide for structured learning, as well as bookmarking creativejs.com and jsfiddle.net for further exploration. They have also mentioned reading O'Really's Javascript: The Definitive Guide but found it to be more theoretical than practical.
Ryoko
I'm looking for recommendations for javascript courseware suitable for self-study. Most of what I've found assumes no programming experience and is too basic and not really usable for building skills to a professional level. I'm already proficient in OO languages such as C++ as well as being familiar with HTML/CSS. I can do basic coding in JS, but I need more advanced training. I've seen some subscription courseware offering video courses, but I'm not sure of the quality or the thoroughness of the material. Suggestions?

Technology news on Phys.org
Honestly, if you're already straight with OO, familiar with HTML/CSS, and can actually do basic JS (as in, JS, not jQuery) then it's just a matter of learning the syntax/subtleties and putting the time in. As you've already sort of hinted, courses would bore you as you already have an understanding. Just get your hands dirty.

Regardless, for structured learning, here's a great starter list of resources: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11246/best-resources-to-learn-javascript

Next, I would go though StackOverflow's most voted answers in the JavaScript tag to learn things you wouldn't even think to ask.

Eloquent JavaScript is a free ebook that's pretty eloquent. For a desktop reference, and a truly deep understanding of JS, grab a copy of the beastly Definitive Guide

Finally bookmark http://creativejs.com/ and http://jsfiddle.net/ , the former to see what people are doing at the very edge of JavaScript's limit and the latter to quickly test out examples without having to set up a test/sandbox environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'll take a look at the links tomorrow when I get a chance.

I've read the O'Really Javascript: The Definitive Guide book ... all 1000 pages. Pretty dry reading. Nice reference, but it doesn't really offer a lot practical use guidance. Just lots of theory.

Related to Advanced Javascript Courseware Recommendations

1. What is an online Javascript courseware?

An online Javascript courseware is a web-based platform that provides instructional materials, exercises, and assessments for learning Javascript programming language. It allows individuals to learn at their own pace and from anywhere with an internet connection.

2. How is an online Javascript courseware different from traditional classroom learning?

An online Javascript courseware offers a self-paced learning experience compared to traditional classroom learning. It also allows students to access course materials, exercises, and assessments at any time and from any location. Additionally, online courseware often includes interactive features such as videos, quizzes, and virtual coding environments.

3. Who can benefit from taking an online Javascript courseware?

Anyone interested in learning Javascript programming language can benefit from taking an online courseware. This includes students, professionals, and hobbyists who want to improve their coding skills or learn a new programming language.

4. What are the advantages of using an online Javascript courseware?

Some advantages of using an online Javascript courseware include flexibility in learning, access to a wide range of learning materials, and the ability to track progress and receive immediate feedback. It also allows students to learn at their own pace and provides a comfortable learning environment.

5. How can I find a reputable online Javascript courseware?

To find a reputable online Javascript courseware, you can research different platforms and read reviews from previous students. You can also look for courseware that is created by well-known institutions or instructors with expertise in Javascript. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues who have taken online programming courses.