Get Advice for Your Internship App: Programming, Electronics and More

In summary: Do you know of any resources or tutorials that will help me get started on this?In summary, In summary, you should consider getting an FPGA development board and learning VHDL or Verilog.
NATURE.M
Hey guys,

I am planning on applying for a internship when University begins again in the fall. Now I'll be entering into second year, and will most likely be looking for a programming internship or engineering internship (electronics based). I want to use this summer to add skills/projects that would help aid my overall applications/resume.

At the moment the programming languages I'm familiar with are Python (extensive), Java (fair) --currently learning how to develop android apps.
I'm currently studying databases (XML, SQL) based on the coursera self study course. I've been going over EE fundamentals (coursers course again --no certificate due to late enrolment), and purchased an Arduino starter kit about 2 weeks ago. I want to continue to extend my foundation in electronics over the course of the entire summer. Towards the end of the summer (August) I want to devote myself to C. Also, I'm not sure if maybe I should pick up HTML and CSS, and work on developing a website.

Now I need recommendations/advice on other possible skills/ways that I can help improve my application. Feel to critique my above plans.
Thank-you .

Physics news on Phys.org
So, are you looking for a tech company type internship? If so, I would recommend learning algorithms (try Cormen) for a start. I believe tech companies value it greatly and it is a key component that they look for later on.

Do you know network programming? If not, you can read a bit on that (try a very famous one) and you might want to do some UNIX as well, especially for that book. Aside from that, you said you are learning Sql and databases. I reckon you should just ensure you are fluent with that and, as far as technical knowledge goes, that is great.

FYI, I am not and have never been an intern. This advice is based off what I have learned and my own interest in Computer Science. However, I believe my advice is accurate and reliable.

You have an unusual mix of skills: generic programming mixed with some interest in electronics. Unfortunately, one isn't going to support the other unless you get involved in embedded programming (I mean Java and SQL aren't used in electronics). The Arudino is a good start. If I were you I'd look into getting an FPGA development board and learning VHDL (if you're in Europe) or Verilog (if you're in North America or Asia). Those would be two sensible ways to merge an interest in software and electronics.

I've often heard that learning about databases is a very useful skill to have from upper-year undergraduates, so that's essentially why I want to learn it. Networking though is somethings I definitely have interest in.

analogdesign said:
You have an unusual mix of skills: generic programming mixed with some interest in electronics. Unfortunately, one isn't going to support the other unless you get involved in embedded programming (I mean Java and SQL aren't used in electronics). The Arudino is a good start. If I were you I'd look into getting an FPGA development board and learning VHDL (if you're in Europe) or Verilog (if you're in North America or Asia). Those would be two sensible ways to merge an interest in software and electronics.

I'll definitely take up your suggestion for Verilog if time permits.

Last edited:
analogdesign said:
If I were you I'd look into getting an FPGA development board and learning VHDL (if you're in Europe) or Verilog (if you're in North America or Asia). Those would be two sensible ways to merge an interest in software and electronics.

Hey, so I've been reading about FPGA development boards/verilog (note I'm from Canada) and apparently the software is only available on windows, not macs (which sucks since I have a mac). Namely, I was looking into https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11953 and then following it up at http://embeddedmicro.com/tutorials/mojo/ there doesn't seem to be any indication of setup on macs.

1. What kind of advice can I receive for my internship app?

Through this service, you can receive advice on programming, electronics, and other technical aspects of your internship app. This includes tips on coding, troubleshooting, and optimizing your app's performance.

2. Who will be providing the advice?

The advice will be provided by experienced professionals in the field of programming and electronics, who have extensive knowledge and expertise in developing successful internship apps.

3. How can I access this service?

You can access this service by submitting your questions or concerns through our online platform. Our team will review your query and provide personalized advice and solutions for your internship app.

4. Is this service free of charge?

No, there is a fee for receiving advice through this service. However, the cost will vary depending on the complexity of your questions and the level of expertise required from our team.

5. Can I receive ongoing support for my internship app?

Yes, our team can provide ongoing support and guidance for your internship app. We offer different packages for continued assistance, depending on your specific needs and budget.