Advice for High School Sophomore - What to Study Next

• Thread starter Thundagere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker is a sophomore in high school who has self-studied Physics C and is now wondering what to do next. They plan on taking a Modern Physics college course and learning computer programming in C. Possible next steps include studying Calculus or Vector Calculus, learning Java or C++, or exploring computational physics through Open Source Physics simulations.
Thundagere
I couldn't find an appropriate place for this; this was the closest. If this is in the wrong place, could someone let me know?
So I'm a sophomore in high school, and I"ve finished self studying Physics C. I'm taking the class oficially for the credits next year, but my main question is, what to do now? I'm going to be taking a Modern Physics college course this summer, and trying to learn computer programming in C. What should I study next?
Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could study Calculus or Vector Calculus if you've already studied Calculus. Vector Calculus is useful in undergrad Classical Mechanics and Electromagnetic theory and brings a lot of math concepts together in one place.

You could learn Java or C++ as a follow-on to C to gain some skills in Object Oriented programming.

You could check out the Open Source Physics simulations at www.compadre.org/osp and learn about computational physics.

Related to Advice for High School Sophomore - What to Study Next

1. What classes should I take as a high school sophomore?

As a high school sophomore, it is important to continue building a strong foundation in core subjects such as English, math, science, and social studies. It is also a good idea to explore elective courses in areas that interest you, as this can help you discover potential career paths.

2. Is it important to start thinking about college as a high school sophomore?

While it may seem early, it is never too soon to start thinking about your future and setting goals for college. Use your sophomore year to research different colleges and majors, and begin thinking about what you want in a college experience.

3. Should I focus on extracurricular activities in addition to my studies?

Participating in extracurricular activities can help you develop important skills and interests that can contribute to your academic success. However, it is important to balance your commitments and not overload yourself. Choose activities that you are genuinely interested in and can manage alongside your studies.

4. How can I prepare for the SAT/ACT as a high school sophomore?

Start familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the SAT and ACT early on. Consider taking practice tests and seeking out resources such as study guides or tutoring services. It is also important to maintain a strong academic record, as this can help you perform well on these exams.

5. What resources are available to help me make decisions about my future as a high school sophomore?

Your school's guidance counselor is a valuable resource for information and advice on college and career planning. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as career assessment tools, college search engines, and scholarship databases, that can help you explore your options and make informed decisions about your future.