Advice Needed for Career in Weapons

• Thread starter xXwarsmithXx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation discusses various options for entering the defense industry as an engineer, including becoming an officer in the military, attending graduate school, or finding an engineering job. Each option has its pros and cons, such as gaining experience and veteran status in the military, but potentially being placed outside of interests. It is also noted that working as a defense contractor or civilian in the Defense Department can provide valuable experience as an alternative to enlisting. Ultimately, the best approach may depend on individual circumstances and goals.
xXwarsmithXx
I am looking for advice on how to enter the defense industry as an engineer. I will graduate this May with my B.S. in mechanical engineering with limited aerospace experience (aerodynamics, propulsion, orbital mechanics and fundamentals of flight). I will get a masters if I cannot get a job this summer, but I would rather save some money and avoid burnout before returning in a few years. Here are my options if I cannot get a defense related job after graduation(if there are any I have overlooked please let me know):

Become an officer in the military (This will happen one day no matter what):
Pros: It would elevate me to veteran status, give me experience with the defense industry end-customer and allow hands-on experience.
Cons: Potential placement outside of interests and four years before reentering industry.

Attend grad school for a masters of engineering or master of science in engineering
Pros: Higher education and more expertise
Cons: incurred costs and limited experience

Find an engineering job:
Pros: Positive cash flow and experience
Cons: Not interesting nor relevant to later career

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a few quick notes on the military officer note.

If this is a real track option for you, you're behind the curve right now. You need to be putting your OCS packet right now and it won't just be for four years, it'll be four years plus training, which depending on your branch and mos/rate it'll add up to 5 even 6 years.

xXwarsmithXx said:
Become an officer in the military (This will happen one day no matter what):
Pros: It would elevate me to veteran status,

Just a small point... I believe you have to fight in a war first, before you are considered a veteran (or does it work differently in your country). Most people would list that under con.

1.) If you plan on entering military service, now is the time to do it. There is no point in working for a while and then doing it... you will be approaching age limits and hurt your chances in any competitive areas. Also, as Afghanistan winds down and budget concerns persist I will be surprised if there isn't a contraction of active duty military personnel in the coming years.

2.) There also isn't much benefit career wise to joining if you only plan on being in for 4 years. You won't get any meaningful defense industry experience in that time.

3.) With exception of a some of the large defense companies, most are located in pockets near the logistics/research bases of the branches they support. Examples like Dayton, Ohio because of Wright Patterson AFB or Huntsville, Alabama because of the Redstone Arsenal. So find those areas and look for job openings.

xXwarsmithXx said:
Find an engineering job:
Pros: Positive cash flow and experience
Cons: Not interesting nor relevant to later career

Thanks

Just a caveat: As someone who was drafted for mandatory service, I want to say that it was the most uninteresting stint of my life, and there's no guarantee that you'll enjoy it once you're actually in it.

Choppy said:
Just a small point... I believe you have to fight in a war first, before you are considered a veteran (or does it work differently in your country). Most people would list that under con.

In the U.S. as long as you do 4 years and get out your considered a veteran whether you deployed or not.

KillJoy3 said:
In the U.S. as long as you do 4 years and get out your considered a veteran whether you deployed or not.
Makes sense otherwise one would need to start wars just to get veteran's benefits from the military.

I've worked as a defense contractor. All care & no responsibility. It was a total blast, you get to see what the military does, how it behaves, fraternize with the troops (!?), and go home to my own bed at night.

I would suggest working as a civilian in the Defense Dept if you don't want to enlist.

Carlos- you could become a (weapons engineer) a way to do that is to go to college, and get a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering. If you still are in high school you could take classes like engineering design, welding and so on.

1. What education and qualifications are necessary for a career in weapons?

To pursue a career in weapons, a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering, physics, or chemistry is generally required. In addition, specialized training and certifications may be necessary depending on the specific job role. Employers may also look for experience with military or law enforcement work.

2. What types of jobs are available in the weapons industry?

The weapons industry offers a wide range of job opportunities, including roles in research and development, design and engineering, manufacturing, testing, and sales. There are also opportunities in government agencies and military branches for those interested in working on weapons systems and defense strategies.

3. How important is security clearance for a career in weapons?

Security clearance is crucial for most jobs in the weapons industry, as these positions involve working with sensitive and classified information. Employers will typically require applicants to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which involves a thorough background check and investigation into an individual's past and current activities.

4. Is it necessary to have prior military experience for a career in weapons?

While prior military experience can be beneficial for certain roles in the weapons industry, it is not a requirement. Many companies value a diverse background and skills, and may offer training and development programs for individuals without military experience. However, some positions may require experience with military weapons systems.

5. What are the potential career growth opportunities in the weapons industry?

The weapons industry offers numerous opportunities for career growth and advancement. With advancements in technology and new developments in weapons systems, there is always a demand for skilled professionals in this field. With experience and further education, individuals can progress to higher-level positions such as project managers, lead engineers, or senior researchers.