Tips for Solving a 1D Second Order ODE in an Open Channel Experiment

In summary, the author is asking for advice on how to solve an ODE describing the evolution of a quantity, u(y). He has some experimental results and wants to adjust a certain constant. He also knows the boundary conditions.
Beniguette
Hi all,

My maths are very rusty and I would need some advice. I have some experimental results obtained in an open channel and got depth-averaged velocity u(y) at different cross-sectional locations y. I tried different models but there is one I don't know how to tackle. The following one dimensional second order ODE describes the evolution of u(y):

[tex]
a^{2}-b^{2}u^{2}+c^{2} \frac{du}{dy}+e^{2}y\frac{du}{dy}+f^{2}y^{2}\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^{2}}+r^{2}y\frac{d^{2}u}{dy^{2}}
[/tex]

I tried the dsolve function in Matlab, even putting some numbers in the constants without success. I don't really need an analytical solution (is it likely there would be any?). I have the experimental results and want to adjust part of the constant r to see how some parameters affect the results. Boundary conditions are known from experiments. Do I need to discretise that equation to get a solution? How should I do that?

I really welcome any advice or suggestion.

Regards,

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using the series method? Except for the u^2 term, the rest is pretty easy to treat in this manner. You might get some useful information that way.

No. Series solutions depend on the fact that you can add solutions of a linear equation to create a new solution. That isn't true for non-linear equations so series solutions don't work for non-linear equations.

Thank you for your interest scorpion990 and HallsolIvy. I have read someone mentioning he used a Newton iteration method to solve the same type of ODE in a similar context. He starts with an assumed profile of U(y) and an initial guess for the unknown parameter r. In each iteration the value of r at the previous time step is used as a known constant. He states that the profile evolves to a final form that is independant from the original profile. Does that make sense to anyone?

Since you don't mind numerical solution, try making the substitution v=du/dy. You then solve the system of differential equation.

[tex]\frac{du}{dy}=v[/tex] and

[tex]\frac{dv}{dy}=\frac{-a^2+b^2u^2-c^2v+c^2yv}{f^2y^2+r^2y}[/tex]

Please refer to the thread: Laser rate equation(ODE) simulation problem
if you want to try solving with matlab.

I've just moved house and had no access to the Internet so I'm just getting your post. Thanks a lot for the suggestion matematikawan, that seems like an interesting read. I shall give it a go.

1. What is a 1D second order ODE?

A 1D second order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It includes a second derivative and only involves one independent variable.

2. Why is it important to study 1D second order ODEs?

1D second order ODEs are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are an essential tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems in these fields.

3. How do I solve a 1D second order ODE?

There are various methods for solving 1D second order ODEs, such as separation of variables, substitution, and series solutions. It is important to determine the appropriate method based on the specific equation and initial conditions.

4. Can 1D second order ODEs be solved analytically?

Yes, some 1D second order ODEs can be solved analytically, meaning an exact solution can be obtained. However, many equations do not have closed-form solutions and require numerical methods to approximate the solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of 1D second order ODEs?

1D second order ODEs are used in various real-life applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, the growth and decay of populations, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering for designing and analyzing structures and systems.