1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on career path

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1
    Well I had no idea where to post this as there isn't a section for "becoming a physicist", so I decided to stick it in here.

In a nutshell, I have known that I want to be a theoretical physicist since I was about 6. Over the years I have read dozens of books covering several different aspects of the feild and have become familiar with many of the concepts (relativity, superposition, the uncertainty principle etc.). However, now that I am in my last year of high school I've begun to pull my head out of the clouds and have relised that....well....math is not my best subject. I can understand the most complicated concepts explained in english and formulate my own ideas in the same way, but my math skills are just plain average. I certainly harbour the love for physics and curiosity about the world that any physicist needs, but is it enough?

I guess what im trying to ask is: Am I going to crash and burn at a university level, or will I be able to pull through using the right side of my brain and trying to take the math in stride?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2
    Remember that the key to math is practise. You have to do a tonne of math to be good at it. Even people of mediocre talent in all subjects who work very hard often get very far in life. If you work hard at it, and particularly if you have the goal of pursueing the wonderful field of physics using your math skills, the sky is the limit.

Sirus

No escape-velocity jokes about the sky please... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?