Advice on Course at University

In summary, Matt is studying for his A2's in Physics, Maths and Chemistry, but is unsure which course to apply for or which one will benefit him the most. He has a short list of five courses, including Physics, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronic and Software Engineering, Computer Science and Aerospace Engineering. He is interested in all five courses and would like advice on the type of career he would be likely to have from each. He has an interest in Computers, renewable energy, nuclear and particle physics, and aerospace engineering. He has chosen to apply to Electrical and Electronic engineering and Software engineering, and is waiting to hear back from the universities he applied to.
[KOD]Redfox
Hi,

I am form Great Britain and would greatly appreciate any advice that you could give me on which course to study at university.

I am currently studying for my A2's in Physics, Maths and Chemistry so I will be heading off to University next year hopefully. The problem, however, is I am unsure which course to apply for or which one will benefit me the most.

I have created a short list of these 5 courses:
Physics
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Electronic and Software Engineering
Computer Science
Aerospace Engineering

Ideally I would like to do the masters in the courses as I feel I would be able to cope with it.

Basically what i would like advice on is the type of career I would be likely to have from each of the courses. Aswell as things like the availability of jobs and average pay.

I have an interest in all these courses. I would try to say what specifically interests me but it's hard to say. I know that I enjoy knowing how things work. I also have a keen interest in Computers, I built my first one when i was 15 and enjoy learning about them. I could see myself getting a sense of satisfaction after writing successful code. I also enjoy the manufacturing of microprosessors side of things. Managing and building a powerful server farm could also be interresting

As for aerospace I think i would enjoy working on a team to design, build and test a rocket or some other flight machine. An un-maned solar powered reconnasance plane for example.

With regards to Physics I would find working on renewable energy exciting and increasing the efficiency of systems. I am also interested in nuclear and particle physics.

I hope that helped to show sort of where my interests lie, as i said it's hard for me to describe.

If anyone would be able to offer any advice that would be gretly appreciated, maybe if you have taken one of the courses yourself. Also I know this forum seems to be American based so I hope there won't be too much of a difference in the education systems?

Thanks,
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
With physics, you would need to study some kind of higher degree in order to get into the field. Some people who studied physics go onto work as computer scientists, in electrical jobs etc but there are far better courses you could apply for, if that was your goal. If you want to become a research physicist, you will need to complete a PhD. Even then, salaries are typically lower than other highly skilled positions.

Electrical/electronic/software engineering gives you a lot of employment opportunities. You can earn quite a large salary, and can go to work straight from BE/BEng/BSc. Also, engineers seem to be on every countries list of jobs that need filling, so emigration will be easy.

Computer science is very similar to software engineering (at my university, it's practically exactly the same course, with one or two different papers throughout the entire course). I'm not sure what the situation is there, or which degree is more helpful. Might be a good idea to talk to your university about this.

Aerospace engineering means you will be working in the aeronautics/astronautics field. The degree is kind of limiting in this manner, it could be better to do an undergrad course in mechanical engineering, then do a masters in aerospace, so you don't limit yourself as much.

That's my two cents anyway, hope that helps!

Electronic engineering is wonderfully flexible, it provides the framework for computers and precise equipment to everything from aviation control systems to particle accelerators!

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate your help.

Just to let you know, I have sent my applications away and "Electrical and Electronic engineering" and "Electronic and Software Engineering" were my top 2 choices.

Thanks again,
Matt

Related to Advice on Course at University

1. What courses should I take in university?

The courses you should take in university depend on your interests, career goals, and program requirements. It's important to choose courses that align with your passions and will help you achieve your desired career path. You should also consider taking courses that will challenge you and help you develop new skills.

2. How many courses should I take per semester?

The number of courses you should take per semester varies based on your program and personal preferences. Most universities recommend taking 3-4 courses per semester, but some students may take more or less depending on their workload and ability to balance their studies with other commitments.

3. Should I take courses outside of my major?

Taking courses outside of your major can provide valuable knowledge and skills that can complement your major courses. It can also help you explore new interests and potentially open up new career opportunities. However, it's important to balance these courses with your major requirements to ensure you graduate on time.

4. How do I choose my electives?

Electives are a great way to explore different subjects and customize your degree. When choosing electives, consider your interests and career goals, as well as any prerequisites or restrictions. It's also a good idea to speak with your academic advisor for guidance on selecting electives that align with your program and graduation requirements.

5. Can I change my course selections once I start university?

Yes, you can change your course selections once you start university. However, it's important to make any changes before the add/drop deadline to avoid any academic or financial penalties. It's also a good idea to speak with your advisor before making any changes to ensure your new courses align with your program requirements and graduation timeline.