Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerodynamic performance of a double shrouded fan

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1

I am using a double shroud fan wheel for our application. what will be happened, if i use the same dimensions fan wheel with single shroud ?. can u clariffy for the same in the following points.

1. Discharge

2. Total Head or static head or Dynamic head

3. Power

With regards

K Ilangovan
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Can you clarify what you mean by a 'double shroud fan'? Do you mean co-axial shrouds, or sequential, or what? I don't see the point of having two. :confused:
  4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    Double shroud refers both end closed in between vanes are placed
    refer enclosed attachment

Thanks advance

Attached Files:

5. Apr 19, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

I can't really say for sure. You have, essentially a squirrel cage blower element. I would expect that your performance would decrease because of increased leakage. This is something that normally one would just test.
  6. Apr 19, 2007 #5

Gold Member

I misunderstood the original concept; I was thinking of an axial-flow fan with the shroud enclosing it.
    I agree with Fred that going to a single shroud would decrease your efficiency. After all, that's half-way to having none.
    Nice picture, by the way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?