1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerodynamics of a paper rocket

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    I'm pretty new to this forum but have loved sciences if all kinds since I was young and plan to get into nuclear engineering after high school. Back on topic, I have made a rocket launcher out of pvc pipe that is powered by an air compressor. Ranging from 60-120 psi propelling my paper rocket. Since I'm often bored after school, how can I determine the air resistance and drag coefficient and well the maximum speed it reaches when propelled with 100psi. I know it'll be hard because I have to take into account gravity and air resistance and friction and the force that the 100psi hits it at but anyone who knows this stuff wanna help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the shape of your rocket? Getting a "good" drag answer here could be either fairly easy or basically impossible without computer software.

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The max speed will probably occur just as it exits the launching tube. You could try filming it against a stripped background. Estimate how far it moves per frame.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook