Aeroengines/Fluid Mechanics - Steady Flow

In summary, the conversation discussed confusion between the universal gravitational constant G and the acceleration due to gravity on earth, gc. The question was about determining V9 using given values, but there was a discrepancy in the answer due to confusion between these two constants. The speaker researched and used gc instead of G, resulting in an incorrect answer. The expert clarified the distinction between the two constants and their uses in different types of calculations.
JRS192

Homework Statement

See Fig.2.4a, let the gases flowing through the nozzle control volume be perfect with Cp = 1.004kJ/kg.K

Determine V9 if T5 = 1000K, T9 = 670K and V5 = 120ms^-1.

Homework Equations

I've detailed the equations in the attached pdf for clarity.

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached pdf. The question paper has the answer as 822.8m/s, but I'm consistently getting 120m/s. Where am I going wrong?

Thank you

Attachments

• Fig2.4a.png
    Fig2.4a.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 479
  • doc00586420150126151206.pdf
    329.4 KB · Views: 207
Physics news on Phys.org
You've confused the universal gravitational constant G for the acceleration due to gravity on earth, gc.
It's not clear why you don't understand the distinction between these two constants.

Hi SteamKing,

Thanks for that. I did some research and everything directed me to that figure, even to the point of using gc...

JRS192 said:
Hi SteamKing,

Thanks for that. I did some research and everything directed me to that figure, even to the point of using gc...

I doubt that. You have misinterpreted something in what you read.

The universal gravitational constant G (which is invariably capitalized) is typically used to find the force of gravitational attraction between two masses, as described by the formula

F = Gm1m2/r2

G is used more often in physics type calculations. G also has some rather unusual units: G = 6.67*10-11 m3/kg-s2

The acceleration due to gravity on earth, gc, which is invariably lower case, is typically commonly found in engineering type calculations, more so than G.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is an aeroengine and how does it work?

An aeroengine, also known as a jet engine, is a type of propulsion system used in aircrafts to provide the necessary thrust for flight. It works by taking in air from the atmosphere, compressing it, mixing it with fuel, and then igniting it in a combustion chamber. The resulting hot gases expand and are forced out of the back of the engine, creating thrust and propelling the aircraft forward.

2. How does fluid flow affect the performance of an aeroengine?

Fluid flow, specifically air flow, is crucial for the operation and performance of an aeroengine. The design and shape of the engine's components, such as the compressor blades and turbine blades, are optimized to control the flow of air and increase its velocity. This efficient flow of air is what produces the necessary thrust for flight.

3. What is the difference between steady and unsteady flow in aeroengines?

Steady flow in aeroengines refers to a constant and continuous flow of air through the engine, with no changes in velocity or direction. This is typically seen during cruising or level flight. On the other hand, unsteady flow refers to fluctuations or changes in the flow of air, which can occur during takeoff, landing, or when the engine is operating at different speeds.

4. How do engineers improve the efficiency of aeroengines?

There are several ways engineers improve the efficiency of aeroengines. One way is through the use of advanced materials and technologies that reduce the weight of the engine and increase its durability. Another way is by optimizing the engine's design and shape to improve the flow of air and reduce drag. Engineers also work on developing more efficient combustion processes and incorporating technologies such as variable geometry components to improve overall performance.

5. How does altitude affect the performance of aeroengines?

Altitude has a significant impact on the performance of aeroengines. As the altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and less dense, reducing the amount of oxygen available for combustion. This can result in a decrease in engine power and thrust. To compensate for this, aeroengines are designed to operate at different altitudes and can include systems such as turbochargers or superchargers to increase air pressure and maintain performance.