1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aeroengines/Fluid Mechanics - Steady Flow

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See Fig.2.4a, let the gases flowing through the nozzle control volume be perfect with Cp = 1.004kJ/kg.K

Determine V9 if T5 = 1000K, T9 = 670K and V5 = 120ms^-1.

2. Relevant equations
    I've detailed the equations in the attached pdf for clarity.

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attached pdf. The question paper has the answer as 822.8m/s, but I'm consistently getting 120m/s. Where am I going wrong?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've confused the universal gravitational constant G for the acceleration due to gravity on earth, gc.
    It's not clear why you don't understand the distinction between these two constants.

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    Hi SteamKing,

Thanks for that. I did some research and everything directed me to that figure, even to the point of using gc...

5. Jan 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I doubt that. You have misinterpreted something in what you read.

The universal gravitational constant G (which is invariably capitalized) is typically used to find the force of gravitational attraction between two masses, as described by the formula

F = Gm1m2/r2

G is used more often in physics type calculations. G also has some rather unusual units: G = 6.67*10-11 m3/kg-s2

The acceleration due to gravity on earth, gc, which is invariably lower case, is typically commonly found in engineering type calculations, moreso than G.

6. Jan 26, 2015 #5
    Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted