Aerospace engineering vs. Mechanical engineering

• Thread starter samirax
  • Start date
Hi everyone.

I am entering first year university in aerospace engineering, and since I've heard that job positions are limited in canada in aero filed, im wondering if i will be able to work in some mechanical engineering position after i get my degree. ( I know that these two are similar, and even some MEs are able to work on space industry afterward. ) I'd really appreciate it if someone helps me. I really like my program, but i would think of switching into mechanical if there will be a hard time getting a job when i finish school.

and also, does anyone know how the job market is in aerospace engineering in Canada?! I currently live in Ottawa, but I would welcome relocating as well.

Thanks.

Samir

I got my bachelors degree in ME specifically for this reason after talking to aerospace engineers at an internship. With the market as it is today, I'm very glad I did because I can always fall back on it. I stayed and got an MS in aerospace, so that I could also work in that field. You can certainly do the same plan I did, but you will have to learn alot of aerospace on your own in grad school to catch up if you want to be good.

There is also the factor that I took a few aero electives in undergrad, and I loved them. While that might seem like a good thing, the problem was I then had disdain for the rest of my ME courses. I would have had much more fun in the aero department as an undergrad. So do forget to weigh in the missery factor.

But, then again, I can always fall back on an HVAC job in rough times......so in some ways that 'pain' was worth it.

Thanks for the information,

Are you working in aerospace field now? was it hard to find a job right after you got your degree? I have heard that it is really challenging finding a job without at least 3 years of experience...

Thank you again :)

Anyways as to the actual topic of your post, that's the exact reason I went ME or Aero. Though make sure you can actually get said aero electives, my school conveniently only offered them when I couldn't possibly take them and I'm still curious about the subject. From what I've noticed, there are jobs in the aerospace field, its just more of a matter of where you want to live. If you like the Los Angles area, for instance, I bet you could find something, but if you're trying to get a job near your home town don't bet on it.