What are the top North American universities for Aerospace Engineering?

• Thread starter meb09JW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic achievements and their decision to pursue the Avionics stream in their Aerospace Engineering program. They mention the option to study at a North American university in their third year and ask for advice from anyone who has had a similar experience. The conversation then turns to a discussion about the University of Maryland's Aerospace program and its ranking among other top schools in the US and Canada.
meb09JW
Greetings!

Just finished my 1st year of my Aerospace Eng. MEng at Sheffield Uni in the UK. Got 85% average, which I'm pretty pleased with, and have chosen to follow the Avionics stream (rather than Aeromechanics).

Anyway, in the 3rd year I have the option to apply to spend it at a North American Uni instead. Some of the choices are- McGill, Maryland, Georgia IT, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Pittsburgh, Austin, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and Toronto.

I'm looking to hear experiences of anyone who went down this route, or some similar study abroad scheme. Is it considered at all by employers etc? Also, it would be great if anyone had any experience with any of the above Uni's.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm a Maryland graduate with a Civil Engineering degree. It's a BIG school, but their Aerospace program is one of the best the U.S., so you can't go wrong.

It's also great because of the quick access to DC if you want to have a night out, and there's a light rail line that runs right through the campus to get you into DC.

Just food for thought :).

Barely. Univ. of MD slips into and out of the top 10. The top 3 schools, year in, year out are MIT, Georgia Tech, and University of Michigan. After that, Cal Tech, Colorado, Illinois, Purdue, Stanford, Texas in the US and McGill and Toronto in Canada regularly rank very high. Cornell, UMD, and VaTech are a bit lower down on the list (but sometimes do bump some of the second tier schools down a notch).

1. What is the current state of the aerospace industry in North America?

The aerospace industry in North America is thriving, with the United States and Canada being two of the top countries in the world for aerospace development and manufacturing. The industry contributes significantly to the economy, providing jobs, technological advancements, and innovations in aviation and space exploration.

2. What are some major companies in the aerospace industry in North America?

Some major companies in the aerospace industry in North America include Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and SpaceX. These companies are responsible for developing and manufacturing aircraft, spacecraft, and other related technologies.

3. How does the aerospace industry in North America impact global transportation and trade?

The aerospace industry in North America plays a crucial role in global transportation and trade. The region is home to some of the world's busiest and most advanced airports, and its aerospace companies produce a significant portion of the world's commercial and military aircraft. This allows for efficient and safe transportation of people and goods across the globe.

4. What are some recent advancements in the aerospace industry in North America?

In recent years, the aerospace industry in North America has seen significant advancements in areas such as electric and hybrid aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and space exploration. Companies are also investing in sustainable and eco-friendly solutions to reduce the industry's environmental impact.

5. How is the government involved in the aerospace industry in North America?

The government plays a significant role in the aerospace industry in North America. In the United States, NASA is responsible for funding and overseeing space exploration and research, while the Federal Aviation Administration regulates and ensures the safety of commercial aviation. The government also provides funding and support for defense-related aerospace projects.