1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affecting Earth's Magnetic Field?

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    Referring to following link, I would like to know what kind of radial fields from Sun affects on Earth's Magnet field, is there any web site offering record of this activity?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lPLjnqS8UeY

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You want to look up "Van Allen Belts"

The Sun emits a lot of radiation - light, for example ... this includes infra-red all through UV to X-rays and gamma rays. Also the Sun spits out matter - the "cosmic wind". So you'd get a shorter answer asking what the Sun does not throw at us ... which is basically rocks: the Sun does not throw rocks at us.

There are lots of places to get a record of solar activity - as you can imagine, it's a lot of data. There are also digests... there is a good place to start here:
    http://www.windows2universe.org/sun/activity/sunspot_history.html

Notice the 11 year cycle they are talking about (the size gets bigger because detection has got better - back in the 1600's there were only small optical telescopes, now we have spacecraft watching everything)? There's also a longer period of fluctuations that looks like beats in sound - that's why you don't remember a blackout 10 years ago: the peak activity was weaker then.

When you know what you want you can start looking for academic sources.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    "The Sun gives off more radiation than usual during solar max, and this extra energy changes the uppermost layers of Earth's atmosphere."

Does anyone have any suggestions on how the uppermost layers of Earth's atmosphere change with this extra energy?

Thanks you very much for any suggestions

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you look at the references supplied? Did you look up van allen belts?

These questions are extremely general - what is it all in aid of?

In general - you get more ionized gasses in the upper atmosphere - this is what plays havoc with radio signals. You also get more cosmic rays. More of everything. One of the effects is more aurora.

6. Oct 31, 2011 #5
    I think thatthere is periodic solar storm that consists of high velocity charged particles. Since there is large amount of them which would generate incredible magnetic field moving through. Thus it might vary the earth's magnetic field.

7. Nov 1, 2011 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, in fact, you know this is the case.
    Again - we know that this is the case. That Windows to the Universe site shows you the proof.

Geomagnetic storms are not a matter of belief, this is not a religion relying on faith, that needs this sort of statement of belief.

If you ever find someone who does not believe in GMS's, they are wrong, and you can prove it within 11 years.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. Nov 1, 2011 #7
    Sorry, I am not expert, I don't know much about geology. I am just applying some basic physics knowledge. Since permanent magnets would change magnetic properties under immense magnetic field due to rearrangement of magnetic domains or magnetic moments, I think that it would be similar in the case of the earth.

Anyway, I extrapolated from elementary physics, there are lots of flaws. If you find any you could correct me.

9. Nov 1, 2011 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I had a feeling this may have been the case. Have a read of:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_magnetic_field

The Earths field is not generated like a bar magnet.
    In a nutshell - it is formed from the movement of molten iron in the outer core.
    A GMS capable of changing this, significantly, would likely strip the whole magnetosphere.

You've have, however, done a fair extrapolation.
    So far, no solar storms have permanently changed the magnetism of solid magnets.
    What you normally get is induced currents from the charge flux making short-term local changes ... disrupt radio traffic, damage delicate, unshielded, circuitry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook