Affine Algebraic Curves - Kunz - Exercise 1 - Chapter 1

In summary, the conversation discussed Exercise 1 in Chapter 1 of Ernst Kunz's book, "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves" and provided some context and notation used in the book. It also explained the approach to solving the exercise and clarified the definition of a curve in algebraic geometry.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ernst Kunz book, "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves"

I need help with Exercise 1, Chapter 1 ...

Indeed ... I am a bit overwhelmed by this problem ..

Exercise 1 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4549Hope someone can help ... ...To give a feel for the context and notation I am providing the start to Chapter 1, as follows:View attachment 4550

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
, thank you for reaching out for help with Exercise 1 in Chapter 1 of Ernst Kunz's book, "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves". I understand how overwhelming complex problems can be, especially when dealing with advanced mathematical concepts.

Before diving into the exercise, let's review the context and notation used in the book. Chapter 1 introduces the basic concepts and definitions of plane algebraic curves. The notation used in the book is standard in algebraic geometry, so it may seem unfamiliar at first. However, with some practice and understanding, it will become more natural.

Now, let's take a closer look at Exercise 1. This exercise is asking you to prove that the set of all points in the plane satisfying the equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 forms a curve. In other words, you need to show that this equation defines a curve in the plane.

To solve this exercise, you will need to use some basic algebraic techniques. First, recall that the equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 represents a circle of radius 1 centered at the origin. This means that all points (x,y) that satisfy this equation will lie on this circle.

Next, you need to show that this circle is a curve. In algebraic geometry, a curve is defined as a set of points that can be described by a single polynomial equation. In this case, the equation x^2 + y^2 = 1 can be written as (x-0)^2 + (y-0)^2 - 1 = 0, which is a polynomial equation in x and y. Therefore, we can conclude that the set of points satisfying this equation forms a curve.

I hope this helps to clarify the context and approach to solving Exercise 1. Don't hesitate to reach out for more assistance if needed. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, you'll get the hang of it in no time!

1. What is an affine algebraic curve?

An affine algebraic curve is a geometric object that can be described by the vanishing of a polynomial equation in two variables. It is a subset of the two-dimensional affine space over some algebraically closed field.

2. What is the significance of Kunz's exercise in Chapter 1?

Kunz's exercise in Chapter 1 provides an introduction to the fundamental concepts and properties of affine algebraic curves. It serves as a starting point for understanding more advanced topics in algebraic geometry.

3. How do you find the equation of a given affine algebraic curve?

To find the equation of a given affine algebraic curve, you can start by plotting some points on the curve and then using those points to construct a polynomial equation that satisfies them. Alternatively, you can use techniques such as Bezout's theorem and elimination theory to find the equation.

4. What is the role of algebraic curves in mathematics?

Algebraic curves have significant applications in many areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography. They also have connections to other fields such as physics and computer science.

5. How does the degree of an affine algebraic curve affect its properties?

The degree of an affine algebraic curve is an important property that determines various characteristics of the curve, such as its singularities and number of intersection points with other curves. In general, a higher degree curve will have more complex and interesting properties compared to a lower degree curve.