How Do You Decrypt an Affine Cipher Text?

• Thread starter pupeye11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help to decipher ciphertext obtained from an Affine Cipher. They have been trying different mappings using modular arithmetic but have not been successful. They are seeking advice on how to proceed, including using frequency analysis and automated tools.
pupeye11

Homework Statement

Below is an example of ciphertext obtained from an Affine Cipher. Determine the plaintext.

KQEREJEBCPPCJCRKIEACUZBKRVPKRBCIBQCARBJCVFCUPKRIOFKPACUZQEPBKRXPEIIEABDKPBCPFCDCCAFIEABDKPBCPFEQPKAZ
BKRHAIBKAPCCIBURCCDKDCCJCIDFUIXPAFFERBICZDFKABICBB
ENEFCUPJCVKABPCYDCCDPKBCOCPERKIVKSCPICBRKIJPKABI

Probabilities of each letter:

E .127
T .091
A .082
O .075
I .070
N .067
S .063
H .061
R .060
D .043
L .040
C .028
U .028
M .024
W .023
F .022
G .020
Y .020
P .019
B .015
V .010
K .008
J .002
X .001
Z .001
Q .001

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, due to occurrences and the probabilities, you try mapping two letters to other letters then solve using modular arithmetic. I have tried mapping C--> E then B--> every other letter, C--> T and B--> all letter with a higher probability then R, and C--> A and B--> all letters with a higher probability then R.

Just to make sure I am doing all calculations right, assume C-->E and B--> T

Then we have the equations 2a+b=4 (mod 26)
a+b=19 (mod 26)

This means a=11, b=8 and since GCD(11,26)=1 the deciphering equation will be

d(k) = 7(y-8) (mod 26)

But, using this equation the first five letters map to OEYLE which is obviously nothing, so I have to try the next one.

I have been working on this for over 5 hours and have not come up with a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the Affine Cipher and how to use modular arithmetic to decipher the ciphertext. However, it is important to note that there may not be a single solution to this cipher, as there are multiple combinations of letters that could have been used for the key. It is also possible that the ciphertext has been encrypted using a different cipher or a combination of ciphers.

One approach you could try is to use frequency analysis on the ciphertext. This involves comparing the frequency of letters in the ciphertext to the probabilities given in the forum post. This can give you a starting point for mapping letters and can also help you identify common letter combinations (e.g. "THE", "ING", etc.). From there, you can continue using modular arithmetic and trial and error to find the correct key.

Additionally, you could also try using a tool or program that can automatically decipher the ciphertext for you. This can help you check your work and potentially give you some insights on how to approach the problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decryption!

Related to How Do You Decrypt an Affine Cipher Text?

1. What is affine encryption and why is it important?

Affine encryption is a type of substitution cipher that uses a mathematical formula to encrypt plaintext into ciphertext. It is important because it provides a basic level of security for sensitive information and is relatively easy to implement and understand.

2. How do I decrypt affine ciphertext?

To decrypt affine ciphertext, you will need to know the values of two different numbers, known as the "key" and "multiplier". These values are used in a specific formula to convert the ciphertext back into plaintext. A step-by-step guide can be found in the "Decrypting Affine Ciphertext" article.

3. Can affine ciphertext be cracked?

Yes, affine ciphertext can be cracked using various methods such as frequency analysis and brute force attacks. However, the level of difficulty in cracking affine ciphertext depends on the length of the key and the strength of the multiplier used in the encryption process.

4. Is affine encryption considered secure?

Affine encryption is considered to be relatively secure against casual attacks, but it is not as secure as more complex encryption methods such as RSA or AES. It is important to use longer keys and stronger multipliers to increase the level of security for affine encryption.

5. What are some practical applications of affine encryption?

Affine encryption can be used in situations where a basic level of security is needed, such as in online communication or storing sensitive information on a computer. It is also commonly used in combination with other encryption methods for added security.