Affine parameterization of a light ray

• Thread starter kkz23691
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Ray
In summary, the null geodesic curve is a curve that describes a ray of light travelling in a flat space. It can be parametrized by the coordinate time ##t##, which is the reading of a stationary clock. However, another equally good choice would be the coordinate z.
kkz23691
Hello,

Is this parameterization correct? -

##r(t) = R = \mbox{const}##
##\theta(t) = 0 = \mbox{const}##
##z(t) = ct##
##t = t##

This is supposed to be the null geodesic curve in the case of a light ray, emitted at point {##r=R,\theta=0,z=0,t=0##} parallel to the ##z-##axis in flat spacetime. I'm posting because I am unsure if the time ##t## can serve as an affine parameter.

Are there better parameterization choices here?

Physics news on Phys.org
kkz23691 said:
I'm posting because I am unsure if the time ##t## can serve as an affine parameter.

It can.

kkz23691 said:
Are there better parameterization choices here?

Not really "better", but another equally good choice in this case would be ##z##; the only difference is the factor of ##c##, and if you use "natural" units in which ##c = 1##, that difference goes away.

Likes kkz23691
It seemed to me that the "coordinate time" ##t## would appear to be a reasonable parameter, because I understand it to be the reading of a stationary clock; while the "proper time" ##\tau## would be the reading of a clock traveling with the ray, and it would not be convenient to use ##\tau## as a parameter because it would show the same reading at any point of the curve.

kkz23691 said:
It seemed to me that the "coordinate time" ##t## would appear to be a reasonable parameter, because I understand it to be the reading of a stationary clock; while the "proper time" ##\tau## would be the reading of a clock traveling with the ray, and it would not be convenient to use ##\tau## as a parameter because it would show the same reading at any point of the curve.

There can be no clock which travels along with the light ray. There is no ##\tau## for a light ray, only an interval ##s=0## along the whole light ray. And you are right, this is definitely not a good affine (or really any other kind as well) parameter. Null curves can not be parametrized by their arc length.

Likes kkz23691
Something that always struck me as mysterious is that you can derive the geodesic equation

[itex]\frac{dU^\mu}{ds} + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda} U^\nu U^\lambda = 0[/itex]

by extremizing proper time: [itex]\tau = \int \sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} U^\mu U^\nu} ds[/itex] (where [itex]U^\mu = \frac{dx^\mu}{ds}[/itex])*

but the equation works unchanged even for lightlike geodesics. The original integral is identically zero for lightlike geodesics, so extremizing it doesn't give you any equations of motion.

* Actually, extremizing proper time gives something like:

[itex]\frac{dU^\mu}{ds} + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda} U^\nu U^\lambda = U^\mu \frac{d}{ds} log(\mathcal{L})[/itex], where [itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{d \tau}{ds}[/itex]. By choosing [itex]s[/itex] to be affine, you can make [itex]\mathcal{L} = [/itex] a constant, so the right-hand side vanishes.

stevendaryl said:
The original integral is identically zero for lightlike geodesics, so extremizing it doesn't give you any equations of motion.

We don't consider the set of all geodesics from A to B and then extremize proper time to pick out one geodesic. We consider the set of all curves from A to B and extremize proper time, and that gives us one curve (or in some cases more than one), which is a geodesic. Did you mean to say "The original integral is identically zero for lightlike *curves*?"

bcrowell said:
We don't consider the set of all geodesics from A to B and then extremize proper time to pick out one geodesic. We consider the set of all curves from A to B and extremize proper time, and that gives us one curve (or in some cases more than one), which is a geodesic. Did you mean to say "The original integral is identically zero for lightlike *cuves*?"

Yes, that's what I meant.

A couple of points that may or may not be relevant:

- You can always consider a lightlike geodesic from A to B as the limiting case of a timelike geodesic, in the case where, say, the final point is brought closer and closer to B.

- Suppose you define timelike geodesics by extremization among timelike curves, and similarly for spacelike ones. The lightlike case is qualitatively different, because the dimensionality of the set is smaller. In particular, in 1+1 dimensions there is at most one smooth, lightlike curve from A to B, so extremization isn't even relevant.

1. What is affine parameterization of a light ray?

Affine parameterization of a light ray is a mathematical representation of a light ray's path that uses affine coordinates to describe its position and direction.

2. Why is affine parameterization of a light ray important?

Affine parameterization allows us to easily calculate the properties of a light ray, such as its distance and direction, which are essential for understanding how light behaves in different environments.

3. How is affine parameterization different from other parameterizations of light rays?

Affine parameterization is different from other parameterizations, such as Cartesian and polar coordinates, because it uses affine coordinates, which are a combination of position and direction, rather than just position or direction alone.

4. What are some practical applications of affine parameterization of light rays?

Affine parameterization is commonly used in computer graphics and computer vision to simulate and analyze the behavior of light in virtual environments. It is also used in optics and astrophysics to study the properties of light in real-world scenarios.

5. What are some limitations of affine parameterization of light rays?

One limitation of affine parameterization is that it assumes a linear path for the light ray, which may not always be the case in complex environments. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of refraction and diffraction, which may alter the path of a light ray.