Affordable Places to Go Out & Dress Up

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding affordable options for dressing up and going out with limited funds. Suggestions include going for a promenade, attending free concerts, visiting art galleries or museums, joining a local church or religious group, going to plays or other productions at colleges, and trying out inexpensive restaurants. Some humorous suggestions such as going to funerals or sitting in a church pew for the sake of dressing up are also mentioned.
NeoDevin
My wife likes to get dressed up and go out, but we don't have a lot of money for going to fancy restaurants or clubbing.

Any ideas on places we could go out, where we would be able to get dressed nicely (the more formal the better), but that don't cost a lot of money (or preferably none)?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a promenade along a nearby river or park?

I didn't know clubbing was expensive (~15$/per two persons for a night).

Or, you guys can go to those classy picnics.

Personally, I prefer self serve food places and outdoor activities so I am not much help here.

Last edited:
Free concerts, maybe? Although most are pretty casual. After all, you usually have to sit on the grass.

Oh...church!

or movies! Most classy people I know either go watch movies or go visit those special events in the city (like food tasting) :smile:

Do you guys have people over? You could have a "bring your own" dress up party.

Jimmy Snyder said:
How about a promenade along a nearby river or park?

Winter is coming soon, but that's a good idea for the summer.

rootX said:
I didn't know clubbing was expensive (~15$/per two persons for a night).

We're looking for something we can do regularly. Around here it's at least $10/person, which, if we do it weekly, is almost $100/month. Once in a while is ok though.

lisab said:
Free concerts, maybe? Although most are pretty casual. After all, you usually have to sit on the grass.

I don't know if there are many free concerts around here, I'll look into it.

lisab said:
Oh...church!

This is a good idea, but won't work for us.

rootX said:
or movies! Most classy people I know either go watch movies or go visit those special events in the city (like food tasting) :smile:

Food/wine tasting might be an idea, if I can find any nearby.

Evo said:
Do you guys have people over? You could have a "bring your own" dress up party.

This is a good idea.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

There is a huge variety in churches. Almost anyone can find one that suits them, even some that are non-theist. That is a term being used as "athiest" used to be used before it was hijacked in popular usage to mean something else. They often become low cost social clubs for like minded people. You might start with a Unity church, which is very tolerant of all beliefs. If that does not suit you, then you will meet lots of people who are able to point you in a more suitable direction.

NeoDevin said:
My wife likes to get dressed up and go out, but we don't have a lot of money for going to fancy restaurants or clubbing.

Any ideas on places we could go out, where we would be able to get dressed nicely (the more formal the better), but that don't cost a lot of money (or preferably none)?

My daughter is big time into swing dancing. There are classes and dances almost weekly that are mutli-generational, but mostly young folks (late teens and twenties). They dress up and have a blast. The lessons are cheap, dances are pretty cheap, and the outdoor dances at the local park are free. Whether is swing, country, or whatever, dancing can be a very affordable way to dress up and have a lot of fun.

Art galleries?

You could go to a play. Depending on where it's at, it could be pretty cheap. If there are any colleges around, you could go to one of their plays. They're always really cheap because usually drama students have to go as part of the course.

There is another way to go to a play or other production.

Join an amateur dramatics or operatic group as a 'helper'.
They are always looking for smart 'front of house' volunteers and you would get to see the production for free as well.

fuzzyfelt said:
Art galleries?
or museums or libraries, especially if there is an interesting lecture.

Churches (or other religious institutions). UUs are mostly harmless. :biggrin:

There are groups like secular humanists or ethical culturists (Society for Ethical Culture). One could join the group for coffee and snacks or light lunch.

How about an inexpensive restaurant like Applebees or a local Chinese restaurant? Or does it matter if everyone else is dressed-up too?

NeoDevin said:

That pretty much limits it to funerals.o:) The devil made me do that.

Sorry, I have to ask why someone that wants to dress up for a social outing would pick going to church? "Honey, we haven't been to that church yet and you look really hot in that outfit!. Let's go sit in a pew!" :rolleyes:

edward said:
That pretty much limits it to funerals.o:) The devil made me do that.

:smile:

Evo said:
Sorry, I have to ask why someone that wants to dress up for a social outing would pick going to church? "Honey, we haven't been to that church yet and you look really hot in that outfit!. Let's go sit in a pew!" :rolleyes:

:smile: That made me laugh!

In my very casual, denim-and-flannel world, the only places I know of where people dress up are funerals, weddings, and church. Well at least I assume they dress up for church - I wouldn't know o:).

Evo said:
One or two churches I been to seemed far more social than religious places. I also know few people who found or thought of finding partner at a church :smile:

russ_watters said:
How about an inexpensive restaurant like Applebees or a local Chinese restaurant? Or does it matter if everyone else is dressed-up too?
If you go early or late, you can pretend you're going out somewhere fancy, or just got back from somewhere fancy.

lisab said:

In my very casual, denim-and-flannel world, the only places I know of where people dress up are funerals, weddings, and church. Well at least I assume they dress up for church - I wouldn't know o:).

Or, they could be wedding crashers o:)

lisab said:

Oh Oh oh! Crash funerals and weddings! Of couse that deep cut, red sequined mini dress might not do so well at a funeral.

Evo said:
Oh Oh oh! Crash funerals and weddings! Of couse that deep cut, red sequined mini dress might not do so well at a funeral.
But I guess funerals would be much easier to crash as long you know the dead person name!

rootX said:
But I guess funerals would be much easier to crash as long you know the dead person name!
You can read funeral and wedding announcements. And fancy dresses will go over better at a wedding reception.

Last edited:
If you live near a university or a publicly-supported art gallery, there should be quite a few low-cost or free events to choose from. Back around 1970, the art gallery crowd tended to be a bit bohemian in appearance, so if things haven't changed much, you might tend to stick out in that crowd.

If your nearest university has a decent music school, there will be lots of recitals. They are generally free and can be quite entertaining. Nobody is going to look askance at you if you show up in formal dress. Plus, it's a nice way to lend support to the musicians.

It might not seem like much, but musicians need to have an audience, even if they are not getting paid.

Last edited:
Rsl.

Last edited:
NeoDevin said:
We're looking for something we can do regularly. Around here it's at least $10/person, which, if we do it weekly, is almost $100/month. Once in a while is ok though.

100 bucks a month isn't really that bad if its something important. (Relatively, cell phone bills cost almost that much.) Though you could go bi-weekly and its only $50, and still considered a "regular" outing.

In general, $10 a person to do anything is quite cheap. Movies cost about that much, and dinner at Applebees is even more. You could plan on going clubbing twice a month, and then every other week try to find a free event. But I can't think of many places that cost money that cost less than $10 a person.

Some museums have open nights you can attend for free. But many also cost around $10. Some charity events are rather formal, but the nature of them implies that you're willing to donate a reasonable sum to the charity.

quadreg said:
Rsl.

Good call, if NeoDevin and wife are Aussies.

Last edited:
quadreg said:
Rsl.

I have no idea what that is...

NeoDevin said:
I have no idea what that is...
Australian equivalent to US VFW and probably parts of VA.

http://www.rsl.org.au/customdata/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main&ItemID=8474&OrgID=1689

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Affordable Places to Go Out & Dress Up

1. What are some affordable places to go out and dress up?

Some affordable places to go out and dress up include local restaurants, rooftop bars, art galleries, community theaters, and outdoor concerts.

2. How can I dress up without breaking the bank?

You can dress up without breaking the bank by shopping at thrift stores, borrowing clothes from friends, or renting outfits from online services. You can also opt for versatile pieces that can be dressed up or down.

3. Are there any free events where I can dress up?

Yes, there are often free events such as community festivals, outdoor movie screenings, and cultural events where dressing up is encouraged. Check your local events calendar for more information.

4. What are some tips for finding affordable places to go out and dress up?

Some tips for finding affordable places to go out and dress up include researching happy hour specials, checking for student or senior discounts, and using apps or websites that offer deals and discounts for local businesses.

5. Can I still look stylish while on a budget?

Absolutely! Looking stylish does not have to be expensive. You can mix and match different pieces, accessorize with statement jewelry or scarves, and focus on grooming and confidence to elevate your look without spending a lot of money.