After Physics I, when do we see classical mechanics again?

In summary, Classical mechanics is a complex subject that can be difficult to understand. Marion and Goldstein are two texts that are typically used in a sophomore/junior level classical mechanics class. You will see it again in a class that is devoted to classical mechanics, but it is more likely that you will see it before the end of senior year if you major in physics.
Ascendant78
I just took Physics I last semester, but I still feel there is so much more to learn about classical mechanics. I could work on 100 different problems involving binary stars, rockets, or rotating objects - but then a slight twist is thrown in on the problems, then something new to have to figure out again.

I spent time working on two different MIT opencourseware courses too, both of which had some differing materials in them (Lewin and scholar versions). However, there was so much material between the two of them, I wasn't able to get through all of it and will not have time for it this coming semester.

I was planning on hitting the Morin Classical Mechanics book over the summer to brush up and improve on my classical mechanics, but I'm wondering when I'll be seeing it again in my coursework? Will we see any of it at all again in Physics II, or is it mostly new formulas for electricity and magnetism? Do we have to keep up with studying the classical mechanics on top of Physics II? With so much to learn, I'm just not sure where to set my limits and when to put time into my other studies like mathematics and computer programming, as I don't know when I'll see classical mechanics again?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll see it again without a doubt in a sophomore level classical mechanics class (usually at the level of Taylor) or an honors sophomore level classical mechanics class (i.e. one that focuses a lot more on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics) and possibly again before the end of senior year if your school offers a senior undergraduate/graduate level classical mechanics class (at the level of Goldstein usually) that you choose to take as an elective.

The same goes for electromagnetism. Of course the methods, tools, and concepts you have learned in classical mechanics, and those that you will learn in the future, will show up consistently throughout your physics education regardless of whether you're doing QM, EM, SR, GR, stat mech etc.

There's a lot more to learn about classical mechanics. If you continue as a physics major you'll see it again in your sophomore or junior year in a class that is devoted to exactly that topic, and then you'll see it yet again as a first year graduate class. Marion is a typical text for the sophomore/junior class, Goldstein for the graduate level class. The canonical name for both classes is of course Classical Mechanics.

If you are majoring in mechanical or civil engineering, you'll see a whole lot more classical mechanics as an undergraduate than that one class you get as a physics major.

Good to know, thanks. As far as the major, mine is in physics, leaning towards high-energy astrophysics in particular, but who knows once I get to grad school.

With what you two have said, I think I might ease back a bit on my physics and put a bit more time into the mathematics and programming. I feel like I might have gone a bit overboard with my prioritizing classical mechanics lately.

I can understand your concerns about feeling like there is always more to learn about classical mechanics. It is a fundamental and complex topic in physics, and it is understandable to feel like there is always more to explore and understand.

In terms of when you will see classical mechanics again in your coursework, it will depend on your specific academic program and curriculum. However, in most undergraduate physics programs, classical mechanics is typically covered in the first year, either in a standalone course or integrated into a general physics course. After that, it may not be explicitly revisited in future courses, but the concepts and principles of classical mechanics will be applied and built upon in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

It is always a good idea to review and brush up on fundamental concepts like classical mechanics, especially if you feel like you need more practice and understanding. However, it is also important to balance your studies and not neglect other subjects like mathematics and computer programming. These subjects are also crucial for a career in physics and it is important to have a well-rounded understanding of different areas of science and mathematics.

In terms of setting limits and priorities, it is important to communicate with your professors and advisors to understand the expectations for your coursework and how much time you should be dedicating to each subject. It is also helpful to have a study plan and schedule that allows for regular review and practice of different topics.

In summary, while you may not see classical mechanics explicitly revisited in future courses, the principles and concepts will continue to be applied and built upon in other areas of physics. It is important to balance your studies and prioritize your time, but also continue to review and practice fundamental concepts like classical mechanics to strengthen your understanding and skills in this area.

1. What is the relationship between After Physics I and classical mechanics?

After Physics I, also known as modern physics, is a branch of physics that deals with the laws of nature at the atomic and subatomic levels. Classical mechanics, on the other hand, is a branch of physics that deals with the laws of motion for macroscopic objects. The two are interconnected, as classical mechanics is the foundation for modern physics and helps to explain many phenomena observed at the atomic level.

2. Why is it important to understand classical mechanics after learning about modern physics?

Classical mechanics is important because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in our everyday world. While modern physics helps us understand the underlying laws of nature, classical mechanics allows us to predict and explain the motion of objects in our daily lives. Additionally, classical mechanics is often used as a stepping stone to more advanced topics in physics such as quantum mechanics.

3. Is classical mechanics still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, classical mechanics is still relevant in modern physics. While modern physics has expanded our understanding of the laws of nature, classical mechanics is still used to explain and predict the behavior of objects on a larger scale. Additionally, many concepts in modern physics, such as energy and momentum, have their roots in classical mechanics.

4. How can we apply classical mechanics in real-life situations?

Classical mechanics can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the motion of a pendulum, or predicting the behavior of fluids. It is also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports.

5. Are there any limitations to classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has its limitations, as it only applies to objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light and on a macroscopic scale. It also cannot fully explain certain phenomena observed at the atomic and subatomic levels, which require the use of modern physics theories. However, classical mechanics remains a fundamental and useful tool in understanding the physical world.