Air bubble inside a glass sphere problem

In summary, the problem involves a small air bubble in a sphere with a diameter of 8 cm and a refractive index of 1.4. The bubble appears to be 2 cm from the surface when looking along the diameter. The true position of the bubble can be found using the equation n1/u + n2/v = (n2 - n1)/R, where n1 = 1, n2 = 1.4, v = -2 cm, and R = +4 cm. After solving, the object distance, u, is found to be 1.25 cm. However, the book gives a different answer of 2.33 cm, which may be due to errors in the solution method used
Amith2006
Sir,
Please help me with this problem.
# A small air bubble in a sphere of 8 cm diameter of a substance having refractive index 1.4 appears to be 2 cm from the surface when looking along the diameter. Find the true position of the bubble.
I solved it in the following way:
Here n1 = 1, n2 = 1.4, v = -2 cm(Virtual image), R = + 4 cm
n2/v + n1/u = (n2 – n1)/R
1.4/-2 + 1/u = 0.4/4
1/u = 0.1 + 0.7 = 0.8
u = 1/0.8
u = 1.25 cm
But the book answer is 2.33 cm. But I get this answer if I do it in a different way.
n1/v + n2/u = (n1 – n2)/R
1/-2 + 1.4/u = (1.4 – 1)/4
1.4/u = 0.1 + 0.5 = 0.6
u = 1.4/0.6
u = 2.33 cm

Attachments

• Opt 6.GIF
    Opt 6.GIF
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,288
Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:
I solved it in the following way:
n2/v + n1/u = (n2 – n1)/R
1.4/-2 + 1/u = 0.4/4
1/u = 0.1 + 0.7 = 0.8
u = 1/0.8
u = 1.25 cm
I don't understand this solution; seems like you mixed up n1 and n2.
But the book answer is 2.33 cm. But I get this answer if I do it in a different way.
n1/v + n2/u = (n1 – n2)/R
1/-2 + 1.4/u = (1.4 – 1)/4
1.4/u = 0.1 + 0.5 = 0.6
u = 1.4/0.6
u = 2.33 cm
I'd say that you made two errors in this one that counterbalance each other. (Unless I'm misreading what you've done.)

Using the usual (Halliday & Resnick) sign convention, the equation you need is:
n1/u + n2/v = (n2 - n1)/R
where u = object distance; v = image distance

Since the light from the object goes from inside the sphere to outside, n1 = 1.4 & n2 = 1. Also, since the surface as the light hits it is concave, R = -4 cm. Given is that v = - 2 cm (a virtual image). Solve for u, the object distance.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It seems that you have approached the problem correctly, but your calculations may have a small error in them. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for n1 and n2 (which you have listed as 1 and 1.4, but in the equations, you have used 1 and 1.4 as well). Also, make sure you are using consistent units throughout your calculations.

If you still cannot find the error in your calculations, I would recommend seeking help from a colleague or your teacher to review your work and see if they can spot any errors. It is also possible that the book answer may be incorrect, so it's always good to double-check with another source.

I hope this helps and good luck with your future problem-solving!

What causes air bubbles inside a glass sphere?

Air bubbles inside a glass sphere are caused by trapped pockets of air during the manufacturing process. These bubbles can also form over time due to changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure.

Are air bubbles inside a glass sphere harmful?

No, air bubbles inside a glass sphere are not harmful. They are a common occurrence and do not affect the integrity or functionality of the sphere. However, if the sphere is used in a scientific experiment, the presence of air bubbles may affect the accuracy of the results.

Can air bubbles be removed from a glass sphere?

It is not possible to remove air bubbles from a glass sphere without damaging the sphere. The manufacturing process and the properties of glass make it difficult to remove air bubbles once they are trapped inside.

Do air bubbles affect the clarity of a glass sphere?

Air bubbles inside a glass sphere may affect the clarity and transparency of the sphere. The size and location of the air bubbles can determine the extent of the impact on the clarity. However, in most cases, the effect is minimal and does not affect the overall appearance of the sphere.

What is the best way to prevent air bubbles inside a glass sphere?

The best way to prevent air bubbles inside a glass sphere is to carefully control the manufacturing process, including the temperature and pressure conditions. However, some air bubbles may still form due to the nature of glass and its interaction with air. The use of high-quality materials and proper handling can also minimize the formation of air bubbles.