1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average force of air resistance

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Average force of air resistance

In early test flights for the space shuttle using a "glider" (mass of 1500kg including pilot), it was noted that after a horizontal launch at 750km/h at a height of 4500m, the glider eventually landed at a speed of 300km/h. What would it's landing speed have been in the absence of air resistance? What was the average force of air resistance exerted on the shuttle if it came in at a constant angle of 10 degrees to the earth?

I converted vi to 208.33 m/s and vf to 83.33 m/s.

I think I answered the first part correctly using 1/2mvi^2 + mgyi = 1/2mvf^2 + mgyf. I calcualted vf = 362.77 m/s. I double checked this using kinematic equations and got the same answer.

I'm having problems with the second part. I believe air resistance is a nonconservative force. The only equation that I came up with is:

wnc = change in KE + change in PE

From this I derived:

Fyi cos 10 = 1/2mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2 + mgyf - mgyi

Using this I came up with the answer -21097 N but this doesn't seem right. What am I missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    I think I figured out where I went wrong.
    d = yi/sin 10 making w = Fdcos 180 = -Fd = -F(yi/sin 10)

This would give me the following equation:

-F(yi/sin10) = (1/2mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2) + (mgyf - mgyi)

Then solve for F. F = 3608N

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?