Who Decides Airline Schedules and Prices?

• Thread starter spratleyj
  • Start date
In summary, the process of creating flight schedules and prices involves a team of operations research analysts and operations managers working together. The analysts use various programs and statistical packages to develop options, while the managers make the final decisions on schedules and pricing. The job responsibilities and qualifications for these roles are similar to those of industrial production managers and marketing professionals. There is room for growth and advancement in both fields. Additional resources for learning about these careers can be found through the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.
spratleyj
I’m currently a student who is interested in how airlines come up with flight schedules/prices, etc. Do they typically have people in-house who make the decisions? Do they hire outside firms? Or do they merely buy a computer program which does it for them? Also, I would be interested in anything you could tell me about the type of job associated with it – as in job responsibilities, pay, training required, etc. Also, is this a field where there is a lot of room for growth/improvement or is it pretty much set? Lastly, if you could point me towards any general resources (websites, books, etc) that would be terrific.

Physics news on Phys.org
One group that would work on these types of problems is operations research analysts: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos044.htm. An airline might have a team of analysts working with various programs and statistical packages etc. Operations managers, working with marketing, would then make the final decisions on how to set the schedules, and the marketing team would decide how to price the tickets relative to the costs of each flight.

The managers involved in this sort of thing will have similar backgrounds and responsibilities as industrial production managers: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm. For marketing see http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos020.htm.

Because marketing and operations management are general business management type roles there is room for growth up to whatever level you can get to. Operations research is more technical, but it can also provide a great base for moving to more general management.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best time to book a flight?

The best time to book a flight is typically 6-8 weeks before your desired departure date. This is when airlines tend to release their cheapest fares. However, prices can vary depending on the destination, time of year, and demand, so it's always best to compare prices and book when you find a good deal.

How can I find the cheapest flights?

To find the cheapest flights, it's important to be flexible with your travel dates and destination. Use price comparison websites or sign up for email alerts from airlines to stay updated on sales and promotions. Also, consider flying on weekdays instead of weekends, as it's usually cheaper.

What is the difference between a direct and non-stop flight?

A direct flight is one where you do not have to change planes during your journey, but may still make stops at other airports. A non-stop flight, on the other hand, goes directly from your departure airport to your destination without any stops. Non-stop flights are usually faster, but direct flights may be cheaper.

Can I change or cancel my flight after booking?

Yes, most airlines allow you to change or cancel your flight, but there may be fees involved depending on the airline and the type of ticket you purchased. It's important to read the terms and conditions before booking and consider purchasing travel insurance for added flexibility.

What should I do if my flight is delayed or cancelled?

If your flight is delayed or cancelled, the first thing to do is check with the airline for updates and information on your options. You may be entitled to compensation, depending on the reason for the delay or cancellation. It's also important to have a backup plan and consider purchasing travel insurance to cover any unexpected changes to your flight schedule.