Dynamic Fluid (airplane landing/decrease altitude)

In summary, the topic of discussion is about the forces on an airplane's wings during landing and decreasing altitude. The question asks which condition must be met for the forces on the wings to be in equilibrium. The correct answer is option E, where P1>P2 and v1<v2. This means that the pressure on the lower surface of the wing must be greater than the pressure on the upper surface, and the velocity on the lower surface must be less than the velocity on the upper surface. The speakers then discuss the role of lift and thrust in maintaining equilibrium during takeoff, landing, and steady flight.
Arif Setiawan
Hi guys.. I've some discussion with my friend. We are teacher. So we must carefully to answer question for student.. there the question is

From figure below, p2 and p1 applied on plane's wings. When airplane landing/decrease altitude, which condition must occupied
A. P1=P2 and v1=v2
B. P1<P2 and v1>v2
C. P1<P2 and v1<v2
D. P1>P2 and v1>v2
E. P1>P2 and v1<v2
Screenshot_2017-02-21-15-26-58.png

On my opinion, at any rate we total force by bernoully equation must upright vertical oposite weight. Because, without Force of wings plane will fall. So, when take off/increase altitude F>w .. stay at certain height F=w.. and when landing F<w.. But F must remain positive. So P1>P2 and v1<v2 (E)

At opposite, my friend though that when take off P1>P2 and when landing P1<P2.

OK guys.. may you all give us your though.. thanks.. regrads

Physics news on Phys.org
Arif Setiawan said:
On my opinion, at any rate we total force by bernoully equation must upright vertical oposite weight. Because, without Force of wings plane will fall. So, when take off/increase altitude F>w .. stay at certain height F=w.. and when landing F<w.. But F must remain positive. So P1>P2 and v1<v2 (E)

At opposite, my friend though that when take off P1>P2 and when landing P1<P2.

OK guys.. may you all give us your though.. thanks.. regrads
You are correct: when decreasing in altitude, the wing is still producing positive lift...just less of it.

russ_watters said:
You are correct: when decreasing in altitude, the wing is still producing positive lift...just less of it.
In a steady descent, the total net force is zero (otherwise the aircraft would accelerate). A component of drag in addition to most of the lift opposes gravity. In a steady climb, lift is also less than the weight, and a component of thrust (in excess of drag) opposes gravity.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
In a stead descent, the total net force is zero (otherwise the aircraft would accelerate). A component of drag in addition to most of the lift opposes gravity. In a steady climb, lift is also less than the weight, and a component of thrust (in excess of drag) opposes gravity.
Thanks for the clarification. I did fall into a little trap there, though it doesn't impact the problem answer.

Arif Setiawan said:
So, when take off/increase altitude F>w .. stay at certain height F=w.. and when landing F<w ..
If the aircraft is not accelerating, then total net force = zero. In level flight, lift = weight (ignoring direction). In a steady climb or steady descent, lift < weight (ignoring direction). In a steady climb, a component of thrust (minus drag) opposes gravity. In a steady descent, a component of drag (minus thrust) opposes gravity.

That's the aspect that I haven't see before..
Thanks for these clear information

1. How does dynamic fluid affect an airplane's landing?

Dynamic fluid, also known as air or wind, plays a crucial role in an airplane's landing. As the airplane descends, it creates a downward force on the wings, known as lift. At the same time, the air moving over the wings creates a force known as drag. These two forces, along with the force of gravity, work together to slow down and stabilize the airplane for a smooth landing.

2. What factors affect the dynamic fluid during an airplane's descent?

There are several factors that can affect the dynamic fluid during an airplane's descent, including wind speed and direction, air temperature and density, and the shape and size of the airplane's wings. These factors can impact the amount of lift and drag created, as well as the overall stability and control of the airplane.

3. How do pilots adjust for dynamic fluid during landing?

Pilots are highly trained to adjust for dynamic fluid during landing. They use a combination of techniques, such as adjusting the angle of the wings, flaps, and spoilers, to control the lift and drag forces and maintain a stable descent. They also use instruments and visual cues to monitor and adjust for wind speed and direction.

4. What are the potential risks of dynamic fluid during an airplane's descent?

The main risk of dynamic fluid during an airplane's descent is turbulence. This can be caused by changes in wind speed or direction, temperature changes, or air pockets. Turbulence can make the airplane harder to control and can cause discomfort or even injury to passengers. It is important for pilots to be aware of potential turbulence and make adjustments as needed.

5. How do engineers design airplanes to withstand dynamic fluid during landing?

Engineers use advanced aerodynamics and fluid dynamics principles to design airplanes that can withstand the forces of dynamic fluid during landing. They carefully consider the shape and size of the wings, as well as other features such as flaps and spoilers, to optimize lift and drag during descent. They also use materials and construction techniques to ensure the airplane can withstand the stresses of dynamic fluid without compromising safety.