Explore Alan Turing's Computable Numbers & Generate Pi with Python

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed an article found on the AMS website about Alan Turing and his concept of Turing machines. The article also included a Python code to compute pi, which showcases the power of algorithms. Turing's work touches upon the foundations of computer science and mathematics, particularly in the areas of computability and countability. This article serves as a reminder of the significance of Turing's contributions to our modern world.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Turing’s methodology was unique: he imagined hypothetical machines that could perform complicated mathematical tasks in a deterministic manner, in the way computers do today. In this way, he inadvertently kickstarted the entire field of modern computer science…
I found this article about Alan Turing and his concept of Turing machines on the AMS website. Since we often get questions about countability and computability I thought it is worth sharing.
https://blogs.ams.org/featurecolumn/2021/12/01/alan-turing-computable-numbers/

It also contains a Python code to compute ##\pi## which by itself might be of interest:

Pi:
def generate_pi_digits():
    q = 1
    r = 180
    t = 60
    i = 2
    while True:
        u,y = 3*(3*i+1)*(3*i+2), (q*(27*i-12) + 5*r) // (5*t)
        q,r,t,i = 10*q*i*(2*i-1), 10*u*(q*(5*i-2)+r - y*t), t*u, i+1
        yield y
pi_digits = generate_pi_digits()
print(str(next(pi_digits)) + ".", end="")
for d in pi_digits: print(d,end="")

Likes JD_PM, Drakkith, Filip Larsen and 1 other person
Technology news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing this article about Alan Turing and his concept of Turing machines. This is a very interesting topic that touches upon the foundations of computer science and mathematics.

As mentioned in the article, Alan Turing's work on computable numbers and Turing machines laid the groundwork for modern computer science and the concept of algorithmic computation. His ideas and contributions have had a significant impact on the development of technology and society as a whole.

The Python code provided in the article to compute pi is also quite fascinating. It is based on a mathematical formula that uses an infinite series of fractions to approximate the value of pi. While this may not be the most efficient method to compute pi, it is a great demonstration of the power of algorithms and how they can be used to solve complex problems.

In addition to exploring the concept of computability, Turing's work also delves into the realm of countability, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics. By understanding the limitations of what can be computed and counted, we gain a deeper understanding of the capabilities and limitations of computers and other computational devices.

Thank you again for sharing this article and the Python code. It is a great reminder of the importance of Alan Turing's contributions and their relevance to our modern world.

1. What is the significance of Alan Turing's Computable Numbers?

Alan Turing's concept of computable numbers, also known as Turing computability, is a fundamental concept in computer science. It is the basis for the design and development of modern computing systems, and has greatly influenced our understanding of computation and its limits.

2. How did Alan Turing generate Pi with Python?

In his paper "On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem", Alan Turing described a method for calculating the digits of Pi using a computer program, which we can now implement in Python. The algorithm involves using a series of calculations to approximate the value of Pi.

3. Can anyone generate Pi with Python using Alan Turing's method?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of programming can generate Pi with Python using Alan Turing's method. The algorithm is relatively simple and can be implemented using basic arithmetic operations in Python.

4. What are the limitations of generating Pi with Python using Alan Turing's method?

Although Alan Turing's method for generating Pi with Python is effective, it is not the most efficient or accurate method available. It relies on a series of approximations, so the more digits of Pi we want to calculate, the longer it will take and the less accurate the result will be.

5. How is Alan Turing's concept of computable numbers relevant today?

Alan Turing's concept of computable numbers continues to be relevant in modern computing, as it forms the basis for the design and development of computers and software. It also has implications for the study of artificial intelligence, as Turing's work considered the limitations of what can and cannot be computed.