Albert Einstein's Riddle

• Thread starter Servo888
  • Start date

"just as no one expects to find a person that drinks exclusively coffee"

This is actually my point exactly... Thank you. It is not stated that they drink their personal beverage exclusively at the exclusion of all other drinks, just that it is different from what the other four drink. You are right, you would not find a person who drinks only coffee (maybe beer, haha, funny). Therefore, a logical person would conclude that they ALL still drink water from time to time.
It does state that their beverage preferences (when it comes to choices stated) do not overlap. Water can not be an exclusive choice for one person, because every living person needs water. I feel that clue 15 is simply pointless and a misdirection, because they ALL have neighbors that drink water. It might as well say he has a neighbor that wears shoes.
The point here is ..even if the person has a preffered drink other than water.The problem is still solved.It does not affect the positioning of any of the nationals.The puzzle is solved if it satisfies all the conditions given mutually as well as in exclusivity period.German is the answer.We can go on arguing about 10 flaws in the question to say the question is unsolvable .but the question itself says its solvable ...2% or 100% its solvable!

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So I've run into Einstein's Riddle...

ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 19th CENTURY. HE SAID THAT 98% OF THE WORLD POPULATION WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.

The answer is "The German" - but we're not done. What about the fact that only 2% of the world population will be able to solve the riddle? Say if you only considering the population in the USA, I'm quite sure at least 20% of the population should be able to solve this. Hell, the probability of getting the correct answer is already 1:5! Though, obviously it's not solving it.

Something just doesn't seem right... There has to be more to this riddle.

Einstein couldn't have written this in the 19th century since Blue Master cigarettes weren't introduced until 1937. Then again, the earliest known version of this puzzle only used American cigarette brands and asked who owned the zebra.

Since it's highly unlikely that Einstein wrote either version, it's also highly unlikely he said 98% of the world's population would not be able to solve it.

So I've run into Einstein's Riddle...

The answer is "The German" - but we're not done. What about the fact that only 2% of the world population will be able to solve the riddle? Say if you only considering the population in the USA, I'm quite sure at least 20% of the population should be able to solve this. Hell, the probability of getting the correct answer is already 1:5! Though, obviously it's not solving it.

Something just doesn't seem right... There has to be more to this riddle.

if these are the rules there would be no center house.

I have a question with regards to this riddle.

Many websites had featured the solution to this riddle, however, the solution provides that the "1st house" is always starting from the left.

However, why is it that we assume the house will start from the left? Why can't we assume the house starts from the right?

Naturally if we assume the first house starts from left, it will be:

Yellow Blue Red Green White

BUT, if we let the first house to start from the right, we will have two possibilities:

Green White Red Blue Yellow

or

Red Green White Blue Yellow

If the house starts from the right, won't there be other possible answers as well?

Last edited:
I have a question with regards to this riddle.

Many websites had featured the solution to this riddle, however, the solution provides that the "1st house" is always starting from the left.

However, why is it that we assume the house will start from the left? Why can't we assume the house starts from the right?

Naturally if we assume the first house starts from left, it will be:

Yellow Blue Red Green White

BUT, if we let the first house to start from the right, we will have two possibilities:

Green White Red Blue Yellow

or

Red Green White Blue Yellow

If the house starts from the right, won't there be other possible answers as well?

Well, I've just found only one answer:

-----------|1st|-------------|2nd|------|3rd|---------|4th|---------------|5th|---------
Nation--| Norwegian--||Danish-||--British---||----Swedish----||--German--||
Color ---|Yellow---------||Blue-----||--Red-------||------White-----||--Green-----||
Drink ---|Water----------||Tea------||--Milk------||-------Beer------||--Coffee----||
Cigar ---|Dunhill--------||Blends--||-PallMalls-||-Blue Master-||--Prince----||
Pet ------|Cats------------||Horses--||--Birds-----||------Dogs------||----FISH---||

That is, the German owns the fish (again!).
:smile:

Who's Einstein?

Well, I've just found only one answer:

-----------|1st|-------------|2nd|------|3rd|---------|4th|---------------|5th|---------
Nation--| Norwegian--||Danish-||--British---||----Swedish----||--German--||
Color ---|Yellow---------||Blue-----||--Red-------||------White-----||--Green-----||
Drink ---|Water----------||Tea------||--Milk------||-------Beer------||--Coffee----||
Cigar ---|Dunhill--------||Blends--||-PallMalls-||-Blue Master-||--Prince----||
Pet ------|Cats------------||Horses--||--Birds-----||------Dogs------||----FISH---||

That is, the German owns the fish (again!).

You have the 4th and 5th swapped. "The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house." Outside of that, we both got the same answer. Took about 5 mins.

You have the 4th and 5th swapped. "The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house." Outside of that, we both got the same answer. Took about 5 mins.

Well, if the house starts from the right, it seems the Green house (5th) is on the left of the White (4th) house...
Is there any doubt?

PS: and they are not the same answer.

Last edited:
Well, if the house starts from the right, it seems the Green house (5th) is on the left of the White (4th) house...
Is there any doubt?

PS: and they are not the same answer.

If you start with the house #1 on the right, that doesn't change the definition of right and left. Your answer shows White left of Green. What an I missing?

If you start with the house #1 on the right, that doesn't change the definition of right and left. Your answer shows White left of Green. What an I missing?

The table in my answer shows the houses, from the 1st to the 5th one. Also, it's said the houses start from the right end.

So, if we start with the house #1 on the mostright position, it seems clear the house #5 will be on the mostleft position.

So, the Green (5th) will be on the left of the White (4th).