Exploring Alcoholic Beverages: How Does Water Affect the Taste?

• Thread starter adoado
  • Start date
In summary, Adrian suggests that the presence of water affects the taste of Frangelico, and that buying ice cubes from a grocery store rather than using ice from the fridge may produce a better drink.
adoado
Hello all,

I have had trouble preparing Frangelico. For those who have not tasted Frangelico, it's simply a hazelnut liqueur, served on the rocks with ice. Here is my dilemma (and it's relation to organic chemistry):

When I go out and buy it, it's incredible, yet when I made it at home on ice, it's not the same. The only difference is the size of the ice cubes. So this got me wondering, how does the presence of water affect the drink?

I have only studied the basics of organic chemistry, but I came up with a reasoning I was hoping could be discussed and tested against all you organic chemists out there :tongue:

Alcohol has a hydroxy group (OH) which makes it hydrophilic; as such, it is miscible in water. My idea is that the alcohol bonds with the water, effectively 'mixing' the drink. This dilutes the taste of alcohol and makes the drink less thick.

Hence, the ice simply 'thins' the alcohol? So larger ice cubes implies slower release of water, in turn implying the alcohol stays 'thick' (and unpalatable) for longer.

Can anyone validate this idea?

Cheers!
Adrian G.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The viscosity of the drink definitely affects how it tastes and the overall "harshness" of it. This is why many alcoholic beverages taste so much smoother when cold.

You're also right about the ice cubes: greater surface area, as by crushing, leads to more rapid melting for the same mass of ice.

Now, how this all fits together to affect the taste, I do not know! Your logic is sound, though. Time to design an experiment!

Just remember to design the experiment and rigid procedure BEFORE starting experimenting.

I wonder if temperature of the ice doesn't play a role as well.

Water content is known to open up the taste profile of liquors like scotch whiskey so I suppose it's true for liqueurs as well. Try leaving the iced drink on the counter for 5 minutes before serving, pay 6-7 dollars and a little for the tip, have a good-looking neighbor serve it and don't clean up after yourself.

I'm guessing it's going to taste better.

Don't use the ice from your fridge either. It picks up food odors (garlic, onion, unmentionable stuff that should have been thrown out weeks ago, etc...) There aren't any food odors flavoring the ice at your local bar. Buy your ice at the grocery store and get to know that good looking neighbor.

Hello Adrian,

Thank you for sharing your observations and thoughts on the effect of water on alcoholic beverages, specifically Frangelico. I can definitely appreciate your curiosity and desire to understand the underlying chemistry behind this phenomenon.

Your reasoning is definitely on the right track. The presence of water in alcoholic beverages can greatly affect the taste, texture, and overall experience of the drink. This is due to the fact that alcohol and water have different physical and chemical properties, and when mixed together, they can create a unique environment that can alter the taste and perception of the drink.

As you mentioned, alcohol (specifically ethanol) has a hydroxyl group (-OH) which makes it hydrophilic, meaning it has an affinity for water. This allows the alcohol to bond with the water molecules, creating a homogeneous solution. This is why adding water to a strong alcoholic drink can make it taste less intense and more diluted.

In terms of the ice cubes, you are correct in thinking that the size of the ice cubes can affect the release of water into the drink. Larger ice cubes will melt at a slower rate, releasing water into the drink at a slower pace. This can result in a slower and more gradual dilution of the alcohol, allowing the drink to maintain its original taste and texture for a longer period of time.

However, there are also other factors at play that can affect the taste of a drink, such as the temperature and type of glassware used. Additionally, the specific ingredients and production methods used in making Frangelico can also contribute to its unique taste and how it reacts with water.

In conclusion, the presence of water can definitely impact the taste of an alcoholic beverage, and your reasoning about the role of water in diluting the alcohol content is valid. I would encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different factors that can affect the taste of drinks, as it can be a fun and interesting way to apply your knowledge of organic chemistry.

Best of luck in your future explorations!

Sincerely,

1. How does the water used in making alcoholic beverages affect the taste?

The water used in making alcoholic beverages can greatly affect the taste. It can either enhance or dilute the flavors of the other ingredients used in the beverage.

2. What role does water play in the fermentation process of alcoholic beverages?

Water is a crucial component in the fermentation process of alcoholic beverages. It helps create the ideal environment for yeast to convert sugars into alcohol, which ultimately affects the taste of the final product.

3. Does the source of water used in making alcoholic beverages make a difference in taste?

Yes, the source of water used in making alcoholic beverages can make a difference in taste. Different sources of water have varying mineral compositions, which can impact the overall taste of the beverage.

4. Can the pH of water affect the taste of an alcoholic beverage?

Yes, the pH of water can affect the taste of an alcoholic beverage. Water with a high pH can make the beverage taste more bitter, while water with a low pH can make it taste more acidic.

5. How can one determine the quality of the water used in an alcoholic beverage?

To determine the quality of water used in an alcoholic beverage, one can test its mineral composition, pH level, and overall taste. The source of the water can also give an indication of its quality. Generally, using clean and pure water will result in a better-tasting beverage.