How Do OH Groups Affect Solubility and What Solvents Clean Paints?

In summary, the conversation is about questions regarding alcohols and their solubility in water, specifically discussing the role of OH groups in sucrose and glycerin. The conversation also includes inquiries about cleaning hands and paintbrushes after painting with latex and enamel paints, and the appropriate solvents to use in each case.
dajugganaut
hi. I am in grade11 chemistry and have a few questions regarding alcohols and solubility in water (polar/non-polar molecules).

1) how does the OH groups in surcrose and glycerin help them to be water soluble?

2) what would you use to clean your hands and the paint brush after painting with latex paint? explain.

3) what solvent would you use to clean your hands and the paintbrush after painting with enamel(alkyd) paint? explain

if you could help me thatd be great! thanks=D

Physics news on Phys.org
You posted this in Chemistry (which is where it should be) already. Please respect the rules of this forum and do not double post.

Hi there! I'd be happy to help answer your questions about alcohols and solubility in water.

1) The OH groups in sucrose and glycerin are polar groups, which means they have a slightly positive and slightly negative end. Water is also a polar molecule, with a slightly positive end (hydrogen) and a slightly negative end (oxygen). This allows for hydrogen bonding between the OH groups in sucrose and glycerin and the water molecules, making them water soluble.

2) For cleaning your hands and paintbrush after using latex paint, you would want to use a polar solvent such as water or rubbing alcohol. Latex paint is water-based, so it will dissolve in water or rubbing alcohol. These solvents will help to break down and remove the latex paint from your skin and paintbrush.

3) For cleaning your hands and paintbrush after using enamel (alkyd) paint, you would want to use a non-polar solvent such as mineral spirits or turpentine. Enamel paint is oil-based, so it will not dissolve in water. Non-polar solvents are needed to dissolve and remove the enamel paint from your skin and paintbrush.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between a primary, secondary, and tertiary alcohol?

A primary alcohol has one carbon atom attached to the carbon atom bonded to the hydroxyl group, a secondary alcohol has two carbon atoms attached, and a tertiary alcohol has three carbon atoms attached.

2. How does the length of the carbon chain affect the solubility of alcohols?

The longer the carbon chain, the less soluble the alcohol will be in water. This is because the hydrophobic carbon chain interacts more strongly with other hydrophobic molecules, making it more difficult for water to surround and dissolve the alcohol.

3. Can alcohols dissolve in nonpolar solvents?

Yes, alcohols can dissolve in nonpolar solvents such as oil or hexane. This is because the nonpolar solvents are attracted to the hydrophobic carbon chain of the alcohol, making it more soluble.

4. How does the presence of a double bond affect the solubility of alcohols?

The presence of a double bond in an alcohol molecule can increase its solubility in water because it adds polarity to the molecule, making it more attracted to the polar water molecules.

5. What is the relationship between the molecular weight and solubility of alcohols?

The higher the molecular weight of an alcohol, the lower its solubility in water. This is because larger molecules have stronger intermolecular forces, making it harder for them to be surrounded and dissolved by water molecules.