1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic coding theory- Golay Code

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    does anyone know why C24 (the extended Golay Code) doesn't have any words of weight 20? I know that it only has words of weight 0,8,12,16, & 24, but why is 20 skipped here?

2. Relevant equations
    I am asked to deduce this from the fact after I have shown that the code does contain the word of all one's. I did this by showing how it is a linear combination of all 12 rows in the generator matrix [I,B] since each column has odd weight. But I am not sure how this is connected to the weights of all the words in C24.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now I was thinking that since the only weight of words in G are either 8 or 12 then any linear combination of the words would be multiples of 8 or 12, but I don't really see why that would be and just me wishful thinking since I have been mulling this question over for 2 days and everywhere I think it out I run into walls. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not an area I know anything about, but I note that 4 is also skipped. Do you know why that is? Is there perhaps some symmetry between case N and case 24-N?

4. Oct 21, 2014 #3
    the smallest distance for the code is 8 so that is the smallest weight possible. That means that the words must be separated by a distance of 8. The Golay is also a double self-dual code so all weights must be divisible by 4

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, so how about a possible symmetry? Would the existence of a weight N imply the existence of a weight 24-N?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted