Coding Theory, Finding Dual Code

In summary, the conversation is about finding a basis for the dual code C orthogonal using first principles. The attempted solution involved creating a matrix from the codes of S and using REF to get a matrix G. However, there was confusion about getting the correct form for G and how to get H, which forms a basis for C orthogonal. Another solution approach is mentioned, but it is not fully understood. The final solution involves finding a matrix G using paper and pen and then creating a matrix H' with columns that form a basis for C orthogonal. The check for this solution is to ensure that the original three codes plus the fourth one found are linearly independent.
Chadlee88

Homework Statement

Let S = {0101, 1010, 1100}. From first principles, find a basis B for the dual code C orthogonal (couldn't find symbol)

Homework Equations

http://www.maths.uq.edu.au/courses/MATH3302/files/codingnotes.pdf

i'm using page 19,20 and 21

The Attempt at a Solution

so i did my matrix using the codes of S

1. 0101
A = 1010

2. then i used REF on this getting

1100 1100
0110 => 0110 = G
0101 0011

So is this my generating matrix G? like shown on page 20
The problem is the example on page 20 is in Reduced Row Echelon Form and not
not just Row Echelon Form like above. So i don't get G = (I X) like the example.
This is where i get stuck because I'm not getting the same form for G and so i can't
get H which i need as the columns of H form a basis for C orthogonal.

The solution to this problem i have i don't get either but maybe it might help you,
It's a different approach to what I'm taking but i don't get it.

Could someone please tell me if i got the correct G and how to get H because
that's where I'm really stuck.

Notes solution:

4. Let x1x2x3x4 2 C?. Then by the defnition of C? we have
(x1x2x3x4) x (0101) = 0 so x2 + x4 = 0
(x1x2x3x4) x (1010) = 0 so x1 + x3 = 0
(x1x2x3x4) x (1100) = 0 so x1 + x2 = 0

Thus we have x1 = x2 = x3 = x4. Thus
C orthogonal = {0000, 1111}

Thanx for helping,

Cheerz

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chadlee88 said:

Homework Statement

Let S = {0101, 1010, 1100}. From first principles, find a basis B for the dual code C orthogonal (couldn't find symbol)

Homework Equations

http://www.maths.uq.edu.au/courses/MATH3302/files/codingnotes.pdf

i'm using page 19,20 and 21

The Attempt at a Solution

so i did my matrix using the codes of S

1. 0101
A = 1010

2. then i used REF on this getting

1100 1100
0110 => 0110 = G
0101 0011
I followed Ex. 2.14 to do this work. I got a different matrix G, but then I reduced A to completely reduced row echelon form (using paper and pen, BTW).

My G looks like this:
Code:
[1 0 0 1]
[0 1 0 1]
[0 0 1 1]

From this I have [I3 X], where X is [1 1 1] (but as a column vector). From this I see that k = 3, and X is as above.

My matrix H' is
Code:
[1]
[1]
[1]
[1]
Note that the bottom entry is the 1 x 1 identity matrix. The columns in H' (all one of them) are the basis for Cperp.

This makes at least some sense because the original code had three elements that are linearly independent, and the dimension of the code space is 4. So the space for the dual code has to be of dimension 1.

The check on my work, which I didn't do, is to convince yourself that the original three codes plus the one I found are linearly independent.
Chadlee88 said:
So is this my generating matrix G? like shown on page 20
The problem is the example on page 20 is in Reduced Row Echelon Form and not
not just Row Echelon Form like above. So i don't get G = (I X) like the example.
This is where i get stuck because I'm not getting the same form for G and so i can't
get H which i need as the columns of H form a basis for C orthogonal.

The solution to this problem i have i don't get either but maybe it might help you,
It's a different approach to what I'm taking but i don't get it.

Could someone please tell me if i got the correct G and how to get H because
that's where I'm really stuck.

Notes solution:

4. Let x1x2x3x4 2 C?. Then by the defnition of C? we have
(x1x2x3x4) x (0101) = 0 so x2 + x4 = 0
(x1x2x3x4) x (1010) = 0 so x1 + x3 = 0
(x1x2x3x4) x (1100) = 0 so x1 + x2 = 0

Thus we have x1 = x2 = x3 = x4. Thus
C orthogonal = {0000, 1111}

Thanx for helping,

Cheerz

Last edited by a moderator:

What is coding theory?

Coding theory is a branch of mathematics and computer science that deals with the study of error-correcting codes. It involves creating and analyzing methods for efficient and reliable transmission of information through noisy channels.

What is a dual code in coding theory?

In coding theory, a dual code is a code that is constructed from another code and has the property that the dual of the dual code is equal to the original code. It is used to detect and correct errors in the original code, making it an important concept in coding theory.

Why is finding the dual code important?

Finding the dual code is important because it allows for efficient error correction in a code. By finding the dual code, we can detect and correct errors in the original code, making it more reliable and accurate.

What are some applications of coding theory?

Coding theory has many applications in modern technology, including data compression, secure communication, and error-correcting memory systems. It is also used in various fields such as telecommunications, electronic engineering, and computer science.

What are some popular coding theory techniques?

Some popular coding theory techniques include Reed-Solomon codes, Hamming codes, and convolutional codes. These techniques are used to efficiently encode and decode information, making them essential in modern communication and data storage systems.