1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic manipulation of equation

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to deal with this manipulation, which I am unable to see.

[tex]a_1=\frac{F}{(-m_1\omega^2+K_1+K_3)-K_3a_2}[/tex]

[tex]a_2= \frac{K_3a_1}{(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3)}[/tex]

Starting with [itex]a_1[/itex]:

[tex]a_1=\frac{F}{(-m_1\omega^2+K_1+K_3)-\frac{K_3^2a_1}{(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3)}}[/tex]

[tex]a_1(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3)=\frac{F(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3)}{(-m_1\omega^2+K_1+K_3)(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3) - K_3^2a_1}[/tex]

The problem is I can't see how to eliminate [itex]a_1[/itex] from here... The result I need to get to is [tex]a_1=\frac{F(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3)}{(-m_1\omega^2+K_1+K_3)(-m_2\omega^2 +K_2+K_3) - K_3^2}[/tex]

I know the steps are most likely simple and I'm missing something obvious but I can't see what it is that needs to be done (I'm a bit rusty, not having done any maths for a couple of months now)...

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2014 #2
    Try making a quadratic equation in 'a 1' and solve it as usual.

4. Jun 8, 2014 #3
    OK, thanks for the tip, Adithyan...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook