1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All Laurent series expansion around 1.

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question is= Find all Laurent series expansion of f(z)=z^4/(3+z^2) around 1. I will be very very thankful if someone can help me to do this question.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

can I assume (z-1=u) here and change the function in terms of $u$. then i will have

f(u+1)=(u+1)^4/(u+2)^2

It should have singularity at $u=-2$. now I m big confuse about in what regions I should compute Laurent series.

I have trouble of thinking that how many laurent series I will have and what will be the conditions on $z$.

Thanks !!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

first, subbing in for z = u+1
    g(u) = f(u+1)=(u+1)^4/(3+(u+1)^2) =(u+1)^4/(u^2+ 2u +4)

4. Jul 14, 2010 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

there will be a laurent series for each disk about z-1 = u = 0 defined by the poles of the function

5. Jul 14, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

6. Jul 14, 2010 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You've done the substitution to center the Laurent expansion around u=0, now draw a diagram, plotting the poles of the new function and draw the annuli these poles split the plane into. For each annuli, decide what the rule is for that region (eg 8< |u| < 23 or something).

The next part is a bit harder: Try to manipulate the expression you have ( [tex]\frac{ (u+1)^4}{(u+1)^2+3}[/tex] ) into the product of two terms, 1 a polynomial, and another that you can interpret as the sum of a geometric series. Then you can expand the geometric series into a sum, and multiply the polynomial into it to get the Laurent series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook