Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Almost done but got stuck

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm almost at the end of a question but i seem to be stuck. I have the answer though.. so im up to here so can someone please help me complete this:

[tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} }) [\mu^2 - 2\mu(\frac{n \overline{y}}{n+\frac{1}{c}})] [/tex]
    then i completed the square:
    [tex](\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} }) [(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2][/tex]

then i expanded it:
    [tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 - (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 [/tex]

then i guess:
    [tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 - [/tex][tex] (\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} })(\frac{1}{(\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})^2 })[/tex]

and then i tried really hard to simplify it but i cant get the answer...

then answer is:
    [tex]\frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y}(\frac{1}{c})}{(n + \frac{1}{c})}}[\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})]^2[/tex]

am i doing it right so far? and if so, then can you please help me figure out the next line, coz i tried and i cant somehow get that answer..:(.. thank you..?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the statement of the original problem????

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do you have some equations relating some of the variables together, so that they are not fully independent of each other?

Otherwise, I don't think you will make it.

Please post the precise question, so that we can look at it from there!

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4
    yeahh i think that i must have done something wrong along the way, coz i don't think that i could make it too..

well the actual problem was to show:
    [tex] p(t|y) \propto (1 + \frac{n + 1/c}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y^2}(1/c)}{n + 1/c}})(\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + 1/c})^2 [/tex]

but yeahhh what i showed you guys is where im up to which is sorta 3/4 of the way done i think. but yeahh i started again after reading all your posts, so do you think that it's possible to get from
    [tex] (\frac{n + 1/c}{\frac{s}{n}})[\mu - \frac{n\overline{y}}{n + 1/c}]^2 [/tex]

and make it equal to
    [tex]
    \frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y}(\frac{1}{c})}{(n + \frac{1}{c})}}[\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})]^2 [/tex]

like i tried
    [tex] \frac{n + \frac{1}{c}}{\frac{s}{n} + \frac{\overline{y}(\frac{1}{c})}{(n + \frac{1}{c})}}[\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})][\mu - (\frac{n\overline{y}}{n + \frac{1}{c}})][/tex]

and expanding out only the first two brackets and that didn't work out too..
    so did i do something wrong again and it's not possible to get to the right answer with what im up to so far? and should i start again?

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to define p(t|y).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook