Almost done with math, what now?

• Thread starter erraticimpulse
  • Start date
In summary, the former student says that a rigorous math background is useful in almost any field, but that you need a minimum of a PhD to do anything of real interest.
erraticimpulse
After this current year of school and then next I will have a B.S. degree in Math. But.. I don't think I really want a job that requires me to be a mathematician and nothing else. I'd like to see what options I have when I get to grad school. Are there many masters degrees that would be complimented by a background in math?

As far as my personal interests are concerned I'm interested in chemistry, biology, music, math (of course), computer science, genetics, anything that keeps me out of doors, journalism, and engineering.

Let me know what you guys think!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested in meteorology ?

I think a rigorous math background, i.e. one that emphasizes problem solving and reasoning, is useful in almost any field.

According to a former student of mine who became a design analyst for the auto industry, math students are better able to learn new skills and techniques than others, because they are used to hard study.

The same holds for physics, e.g. I have heard that medical schools like physics majors for this reason. They are smart and know how to learn and analyze problem situations.

I majored in math and am a mathematics professor, my wife majored in math/math. ed., and is now a pediatrician. Our older son was a math major and is in the internet field. Our younger son was a math prodigy in high school, a fine arts major in college, a semi pro basketball player, and now a teacher of English as a second language.

Although intelligence does count as a basketball player, in my experience it is underappreciated by many coaches and scouts, so as a practical matter I would avoid that field.

Some of those fields look as if they have little if anything at all in common with math. In effect I would have to take a buttload of remedial work, right?

Don't get me wrong though. It's not that I'm not interested in math education I just want to know what my options are. If I ended up as a math teacher it definitely wouldn't be the end of the world for me :smile:

Meteorology does sound pretty interesting, but as far as I know you need to have a minimum of a PhD to do anything of any real interest.

Keep em comin guys! :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What are some potential career paths for someone who is almost done with math?

There are many career options for someone with a strong background in math. Some common paths include becoming a mathematician, statistician, data analyst, actuary, or financial analyst. However, math skills are also highly valued in fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and physics.

2. How can I use my math skills in everyday life?

Math skills are useful in many aspects of everyday life. They can help with tasks such as budgeting, measuring and converting units, calculating tips and discounts, and understanding statistics and probabilities. Additionally, having strong problem-solving skills, which are developed through studying math, can be beneficial in any career or personal situation.

3. Should I continue studying math in college or pursue a different subject?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy math and want to pursue a career that requires strong math skills, then it may be beneficial to continue studying math in college. However, if you are considering a career that does not heavily rely on math, it may be more beneficial to explore other subjects and gain a well-rounded education.

4. What can I do to improve my math skills?

Practice and persistence are key to improving math skills. Make sure to fully understand the concepts being taught in class and regularly review and practice them. There are also many online resources and tutoring services available for additional help and practice. Additionally, finding real-world applications for math can help make it more interesting and easier to understand.

5. How can I stay motivated and engaged in math?

One way to stay motivated is to set goals for yourself, whether it's getting a certain grade or understanding a difficult concept. Additionally, finding a study group or a tutor can provide support and help keep you accountable. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the real-world applications and potential career opportunities that come with having strong math skills.