Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ALmost got it, mathematical induction, writing terms seperatley

1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone i'm having problems on this last part of mathematical induction. I have to show that the two equations are equal to eachother. The book shows a few examples which i will show below. They are writing the kst term separately from the first k terms.

Heres my problem firstly:
    Prove by mathematical induction:

My Goal is to prove that those 2 equations do infact equal eachother, the boxed equations. Once I write the k term separatley then I go on to substitute from the inductive hypotheiss, then do some algebra.

Examples of writing the terms seperately:

Under my problem i attempted to mimic what they are doing, is that it or no? Any help would be great on explaining what they are doing here!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2006 #2
    it should be

[tex]\sum_{i = 1}^{k + 2} i2^i = \left(\sum_{i = 1}^{k+1} i2^i \right) + (k+2)2^{k+2} [/tex]

As a simple example consider:

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{4}i = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = (1 + 2 + 3) + 4 = \left(\sum_{i=1}^{3}i \right) + 4 [/tex]

more generally, if f is a function defined on the integers, and a, b, and c are integers with [itex]a \leq b \leq c [/itex] then,

\sum_{i = a}^{c} f(i) &= f(a) + f(a+1) + \ldots + f(b-1) + f(b) + f(b+1) + \ldots + f(c-1) + f(c) \\
    &= \left( f(a) + f(a+1) + \ldots + f(b-1) \right) + \left( f(b) + f(b+1) + \ldots + f(c-1) + f(c) \right) \\
    &= \left( \sum_{i = a}^{b-1} f(i) \right) + \left( \sum_{i = b}^{c} f(i) \right)

in regards to your problem, f is the function
    [tex]f(k) = k2^k[/tex]
    and a = 1, b = c = k + 2

Your proof up to this point looks great by the way, very nicely written.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
  4. Oct 2, 2006 #3
    Thanks nocturnal, that explanation was very helpful. Sorry about the delayed responce.

I'm now having the following troubles, i can't seem to manipulate the left hand side of the equation to look like the right hand side.

This is my work:

I'm suppose to get that to look like right hand side of the equation, (k+1)*2^(k+3) + 2, any help or suggestions would be great! I tried to factor and expand, and they dont' seem to work or maybe i can't see somthing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?