Al's question at Yahoo Answers regarding determining the accumulated interest

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary, to determine the accumulated value of interest for this problem, we need to use a recursive model and the compound interest formula. By finding a particular solution and using the initial value, we can calculate the total interest earned over the 27 years to be approximately \$254,904.65.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How to determine the accumulated value of interest?

Hey!

I have a maths problem that goes: "suppose you join a superannuation fund by investing \$3000 at 9% p.a. compound interest. The same amount is invested at the beginning of each subsequent year until you retire 27 years later. Determine the accumulated value of interest"

I know the compound interest formula, however I have no idea how to account for the extra \$3000 that is added every year (on top of the 9% interest rate).

Thanks! I would be very grateful for any help

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Al,

Let's let $F_n$ represent the value of the fund at the beginning of year $n$, where the initial year is year 0. We may model this situation with the recursion:

\(\displaystyle F_{n+1}=(1+i)F_{n}+D\) where \(\displaystyle F_0=D\)

where $i$ is the APR and $D$ is the annual deposit.

Now, we see the homogeneous solution is:

\(\displaystyle h_n=c_1(1+i)^n\)

and we seek a particular solution of the form:

\(\displaystyle p_n=A\)

Substituting the particular solution into the recurrence, we find:

\(\displaystyle A-(1+i)A=D\,\therefore\,A=-\frac{D}{i}\)

And so we have, by superposition:

\(\displaystyle F_{n}=h_n+p_n=c_1(1+i)^n-\frac{D}{i}\)

Now, using the initial value, we may determine the parameter $c_1$:

\(\displaystyle F_{0}=c_1-\frac{D}{i}=D\,\therefore\,c_1=\frac{D}{i}(1+i)\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle F_{n}=\frac{D}{i}\left((1+i)^{n+1}-1 \right)\)

To determine the amount $I_{n}$ of this that is interest, we must subtract the $n+1$ deposits that have been made:

\(\displaystyle I_{n}=F_{n}-(n+1)D=\frac{D}{i}\left((1+i)^{n+1}-1 \right)-(n+1)D\)

\(\displaystyle I_{n}=\frac{D}{i}\left((1+i)^{n+1}-(1+i(n+1)) \right)\)

Now, plugging in the data we are given for the problem:

\(\displaystyle D=3000,\,i=0.09,\,n=27\)

We find:

\(\displaystyle I_{27}=\frac{3000}{0.09}\left((1.09)^{28}-(1+0.09(28)) \right)\approx254904.65\)

Related to Al's question at Yahoo Answers regarding determining the accumulated interest

1. How do I calculate the accumulated interest on a loan?

To calculate the accumulated interest on a loan, you will need to know the principal amount, the interest rate, and the length of time the loan has been active. You can use a simple interest formula (I = PRT) or a compound interest formula (A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt)) to determine the accumulated interest. Be sure to check if the interest rate is annual or monthly and adjust accordingly.

2. What is the difference between simple and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated on the principal amount only and remains constant throughout the loan term. Compound interest is calculated on both the principal amount and any accumulated interest, resulting in a higher total amount of interest paid over time. Compound interest can be calculated on a daily, monthly, or yearly basis, depending on the terms of the loan.

3. Can I determine the accumulated interest without knowing the exact interest rate?

No, the interest rate is a crucial factor in calculating the accumulated interest. If you do not know the exact interest rate, you can use an estimated rate or ask your lender for the information. Keep in mind that even a small difference in interest rate can significantly impact the final amount of accumulated interest.

4. How does the length of the loan affect the accumulated interest?

The longer the loan term, the more accumulated interest you will pay. This is because the interest is calculated over a longer period, resulting in a higher total amount. If possible, try to pay off your loan sooner to decrease the amount of accumulated interest.

5. Can I reduce the amount of accumulated interest on my loan?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the amount of accumulated interest on a loan. You can make larger or more frequent payments, pay off the loan sooner, or negotiate a lower interest rate with your lender. It is also important to make all payments on time to avoid any additional fees or penalties that could increase the accumulated interest.