1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alter resistance for max power dissipation?

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem
    Given a circuit with a 30V source and five resistors. The circuit can be drawn as two boxes. Resistor 1 (R1 = 300ohm) is in series with the source. R2 (300ohm) in the middle of the two boxes, and the remaining resistors (550 ohm) in series at the other side of the box.

The problem states: Find the power dissipated from R2 and given the possibility to adjust R2 find the max power dissipated.
    2. The attempt at a solution
    I
    have found the power dissipated from R2, however, how can i "alter" the value of R2 (from 300 to something else) to reach a max value for power dissipated? Is the question badly written or is there a way to find a max allowed power dissipation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

What do you mean by boxes? It would be helpful if you drew the circuit diagram.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi Einar. :welcome:

Perform your calculations using "R2" as the value of that resistor, to determine its power (its voltage x its current) as an algebraic expression in terms of that pronumeral, R2.

Then sketch the equation and use calculus or otherwise to determine the value of R2 for which its power expression peaks.

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4
    Ok thanks I think i got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted