1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternate derivation of output capacitor ripple voltage buck

1. Apr 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find the output voltage ripple of a buck converter by using just the waveforms and the inductor ripple.

2. Relevant equations

I know that the answer is supposed to be D(1-D)Vin/(16*L*C*f^2) but I keep getting D(1-D)Vin/(8*L*C*f^2)

The equations I end up using are Ic=C*dVc/dt and I let Ic=deltaIL.

I know deltaIL= D(1-D)Vin/(2*L*f) and I know that the period that the capacitor has increasing voltage is Ts/4
    3. The attempt at a solution

with this knowledge, multiplying everything together gives D(1-D)Vin/(8*L*C*f^2)

I think I'm making some sort of mistake letting Ic=deltaIL and it makes be off by a factor of 2.

Any help is very appreciated (this isn't homework, just my own curiosity. I've seen the derivation for capacitor
    voltage ripple using the charge on the capacitor but I wanted to try to do it this way.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Please provide a circuit diagram that identifies the components, currents and voltages.
    Please sketch the waveforms you expect and show the voltage measurement points on the waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted