Alternative careers for ME PhD

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Juhna89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Careers Phd
In summary: Sounds pretty interesting to me!In summary, the expert suggests that the person should consider other options, such as patent law, finance (IB) or consulting, before deciding to leave engineering.
Juhna89
Hello,

I am having bit of a dilemma. I am about to finish a D.Sc in mechanical engineering. However, I've never liked engineering and now I am looking to get out of the field.
I know that patent law, finance (IB) and consulting are popular among stem PhD holders and currently I am aiming for patent law and studying for a qualifying law degree on the side. However, I would like hear if there are some other options out there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Juhna89 said:
I am having bit of a I am about to finish a D.Sc in mechanical engineering. However, I've never liked engineering and now I am looking to get out of the field.
I find it hard to believe that you are completing a doctorate yet never liked engineering. Are you sure you're just not undergoing classic grad school burnout and depression? You've come so far, and it would be a shame to give it up when the end is finally near. Perhaps a vacation to clear your head would be in order, before you decide to ditch a potential career in engineering.

The day to day of a lot of engineering jobs can be much different from the educational experience. I'd give them a closer look before jumping ship. At some point in the interview process, spend some time with engineers working in jobs close to the one you are applying for without their bosses around and ask them what it is really like. Focus on areas of concern and dislike and find how much of the 40 hour week is stuff you don't like vs. stuff you do like.

There are a lot of other options out there. The thing is though, it might help to sit down and figure out what you like and want to do first. "Engineering" can actually be pretty broad in scope. If you don't like the analytical aspects, maybe you'd be more interested in management, or technical sales, or technical writing. I met a mechanical engineer the other day who worked for a consulting company that investigates motor vehicle accidents. They inspect crash sites, and write reports for lawyers and claims adjusters.

Related to Alternative careers for ME PhD

1. What are some alternative career options for individuals with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering?

Some alternative career options for individuals with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering include working in research and development, consulting, technical sales, project management, and teaching at a university or college.

2. Can I still use my technical skills and knowledge in alternative careers?

Yes, many alternative career options for individuals with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering require and value technical skills and knowledge. For example, in research and development, you may use your technical expertise to develop new products or improve existing ones.

3. How can I transition from academia to an alternative career?

To transition from academia to an alternative career, you can start by researching different industries and job opportunities that align with your interests and skills. Networking with professionals in your desired field and gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time work can also help with the transition.

4. Are there any additional skills or qualifications I may need for alternative careers outside of academia?

Some alternative careers may require additional skills or qualifications, such as project management certifications or specific software proficiency. It is important to research and identify any necessary skills or qualifications for your desired career path and work on acquiring them.

5. Is it common for individuals with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering to pursue alternative careers?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for individuals with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering to pursue alternative careers. Many individuals find that their skills and knowledge are transferable to various industries, and they are able to find fulfilling and successful careers outside of academia.