Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am i classed as an international student?

  1. Dec 22, 2006 #1
    Am i classed as an international student??

    Hi all,

    I have recently been thinking about studying abroad (either the UK or US) for undergraduate studies. I am a British citizen but hold permanent residency in Australia and have lived over here for the last 9 years.

    While researching this i have come across many websites which state that permanent reidents (of the UK) must have lived in the UK for 3 years prior to beginning study. Would this also applyto me as i have not lived in the UK for 9 years, although i am a citizen?

    Maybe a Teacher who knows the application process may be able to help, or anyone with experience in the matter.

    Thanks alot,

  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2006 #2
    I can't really give you an answer; however, this might be one of those questions where the only solution is to call up/send an email/formal letter to the admissions department of the colleges in the UK that you are looking at, they should know. And if they don't they might have a good idea of who to ask for an answer.
  4. Dec 22, 2006 #3
    i emailed the admissions office of one of the universities and they simply referred me to their website. I had already searched the links sent to me and none of the information applies to a student in my situation.
  5. Dec 22, 2006 #4
    in another email i was given this information:

    "Generally speaking, In order to be considered as a home student for tuition fees purposes, you need to be either an EU member or have indefinite leave to enter or remain in the U.K. In addition, you need to have lived in the EEA for the last three years, not solely for educational purposes."

    Is this information applicable to someone holding a citizenship?
  6. Jan 26, 2007 #5
    As far as I know, living in Australia for a certain period (most likely 5 years or more) would void your British citizenship, as you would be classified as a permanent Australian resident by now.

    Further more, seeing as you would not be an EU member, nor would you have lived in the EEA for the last three years, you would not be applicable for the tuition fees (be it support or other).

    I may be wrong (and probably am), but this is something you must clear up by first finding out your definite present and future status (ie: if you still hold permanent citizenship there or what you would need to do to fix this) and then emailing and talking to the prospective institutions.

    I hope this helps.
  7. Jan 28, 2007 #6
    As far as I know, unless you have lived in the UK for at least the 3 years JUST BEFORE you are about to start uni, then you are counted as international student for the tuition fees at least. See I have a similar problem. I have lived in the UK for 6 years now, but I hold a french passport. I'm currently trying to get hold of someone who can tell me what I count as, If i find any info for somebody in your case i'll try to post it here.
  8. Jan 28, 2007 #7
    How old were you when you left england?
  9. Jan 28, 2007 #8
    You're classed as an international student. I've looked into this as well in the past. I hold dual UK/Australian citizenship and was told that I needed to have been living in the UK for the 3 years prior in order to classify for "home fees".
  10. Jan 28, 2007 #9
    Yes Quark80 is exactly correct, since posting lat i have done some more research into the matter and found out the same thing :(

    thanks for the input though everyone.

  11. Jan 30, 2007 #10
    sorry spoon :( thats not good news when it comes down to the fees, it really sucks.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook