Am I safe using individual batteries in a series connection?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a system with multiple components that have varying voltage requirements. The large motors use 14-16 Volts and are powered by several batteries wired in series. The other components, such as microcontrollers, sensors, and servos, use a lower voltage of 7 Volts. The question is whether two batteries can be used individually while also being connected in series. The answer is yes, but there may be issues with unequal discharge and a lack of a common ground between certain circuits. The suggestion is to use a buck converter for a more optimal solution.
Jarfi
I am building a system which uses multiple components, each has varying voltage. The large motors use a voltage of 14-16 Volts, thus there are several batteries wired in series, providing this voltage.

Now, there are other components such as microcontrollers, multiple sensors and smaller servos which use a lower voltage of 7 Volts. Say I have two batteries, could I use each one individually, while also having them connected in series configuration?

I am aware they may be discharged unequally. But other than that I don't see a problem. This picture is a concept.

Thanks,
-Jarfi.

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 344
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure it will work but you observation about unequal discharge is correct and will be a problem regarding monitoring of battery condition.

Yes it will work within the limits you pointed out. The more optimal solution is a buck converter to efficiently produce a lower voltage from the higher voltage. Also, circuit 1, 2 and the motor do not share a common ground, which can be problematic.

meBigGuy said:
Yes it will work within the limits you pointed out. The more optimal solution is a buck converter to efficiently produce a lower voltage from the higher voltage. Also, circuit 1, 2 and the motor do not share a common ground, which can be problematic.

buck-converters seem like a pretty good option, I'll take a look at them. Thanks

1. Can individual batteries be safely connected in series?

Yes, individual batteries can be safely connected in series as long as they are of the same type, brand, and voltage rating. It is important to ensure that the batteries are all fully charged before connecting them in series.

2. What are the dangers of using individual batteries in a series connection?

The main danger of using individual batteries in a series connection is the risk of overloading. If one battery in the series fails or is weaker than the others, it can cause the other batteries to overcompensate and potentially overheat or explode.

3. How do I determine the appropriate voltage for my series connection?

To determine the appropriate voltage for a series connection, you need to add the individual voltages of each battery together. For example, if you are connecting three 1.5V batteries in series, the total voltage would be 4.5V.

4. Is it safe to mix different types of batteries in a series connection?

No, it is not safe to mix different types of batteries in a series connection. Each type of battery has its own specific voltage and capacity, and mixing them can lead to imbalances and potential hazards.

5. Can a series connection of individual batteries be used for high-powered devices?

Yes, a series connection of individual batteries can be used for high-powered devices, but it is important to use batteries with a high enough voltage and capacity to handle the load. It is also crucial to monitor the batteries and ensure they are all functioning properly to prevent overloading.