Am I too dull/unintelligent to continue in Electrical Eng

• Thread starter royzizzle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, if you're feeling slow and you're not getting the same results as other students, it might be beneficial to take a step back and reassess what you're doing.
royzizzle
It took me 15 minutes to read one page of my introduction to circuits book.

It took me 8 hours to read 30 pages and I remember only about 10% of what I read. (meaning I can't really summarize to someone else what I learned after reading). It takes me at least 3 readings to grasp 50% of the concepts.

Should I give up on engineering? I feel so slow compared to other students.

Physics news on Phys.org
No you're not.

To clarify: learning material isn't about time spent studying. The important thing is that you're studying correctly. It's also important that you ask your professors for help when you need clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:
royzizzle said:

It took me 8 hours to read 30 pages and I remember only about 10% of what I read. (meaning I can't really summarize to someone else what I learned after reading). It takes me at least 3 readings to grasp 50% of the concepts.

You posted this in the wrong forum, I moved it for you.

royzizzle said:

Nothing wrong with slow if you have the right answer in the end. Slow means you're thinking about the information instead of using existing brain patterns to find the solution. Repetition builds mental patterns, more patterns provide quicker paths for information storage and retrieval for new information. So it will be almost automatic (until you hit some completely new concept that requires time to integrate).

Likes symbolipoint and atyy
Adding on to what the others have said, not only is that to be expected and maybe even advantageous, you are not really thinking slowly (unless you're drowsy or something). Subconsciously you'll be finding tons of connections, even if you have to digest it, and going slowly will only help with that. There is a definite learning curve to this kind of thinking, and nobody is perfectly attuned to it to start out. Echoing what nsaspook said, repetition will strengthen these subconscious connections so you'll be able to use and recall them when you get a good enough handle on things to start making sense of it all.

Typing this I realize that this is very similar to being introduced to "complex" math like algebra and proof geometry when you only have knowledge of basic math operations (assuming you didn't really get much out of pre algebra, which I assume most people probably don't), you seem to yourself to be very slow and stupid, but if you throw yourself into it instead of worrying about whether or not you can do it, you'll get oriented eventually. It just takes time, which in college you'll have plenty of.

Best of luck with your studies

With a subject like electronics there is also a lot to be said for hands on experience, or even the process of building simulated circuits. Some learners need to have a complete grasp of the theory before they start on any project. Others really just need an introduction to basic concepts and then a reference to come back to when they encounter practical problems.

We can't tell you if you're too slow to be successful in electrical engineering, particularly based on a couple of statements about the speed of your reading.

But you can do a self-assessment. In doing so, some of the major flags include a massive loss of interest in the entire field, or a persistent pull (longer than a few weeks) towards another area, or consistently falling well below the median result in your classes on exams and assignments. Take a little longer to get through the material is generally not a major flag that you're on the wrong path.

royzizzle said:

That is slow IMO, but you might be making some bad assumptions on how best to learn engineering, reading and remembering every single word your textbook says and trying to be able to regurgitate it to someone (which also doesn't mean you can do problems) is an unnecessary time sink. I like bare bones approach to learning the material than textbooks generally give (and I've found lots of engineering texts are unnecessarily wordy), so I've often supplemented with the schaum's outline series of books which also give lots of solved problems you can use for practice. They're a great supplement to fill in gaps or confusing detail in a textbook:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071830456/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I find looking for outside sources that meld with how I like learning materials make it much clearer when I'd go back to a textbook that took me a long time to read because it wasn't clear.

Another thing is learning how to put the material into your own words, which means you really understand it, a good explanation is presented here by Scott Young:

Also the speed with which you learn things can improve, I found I learned lower division subjects much slower than upper division ones mostly because I hadn't yet build my foundation at the time, but when it was built the speed with which you can learn things that build off of that basic knowledge comes much quicker. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Am I too dull/unintelligent to continue in Electrical Eng

1. Am I too dull to succeed in Electrical Engineering?

No, intelligence is not the only factor in success in any field. There are many other important qualities such as determination, hard work, and problem-solving skills that contribute to success in Electrical Engineering.

2. Can I still become an Electrical Engineer if I struggle with certain subjects or concepts?

Yes, everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. If you are struggling with certain subjects or concepts, it may just require extra effort and practice to understand them. Seeking help from professors, tutors, or classmates can also be beneficial.

3. Is a high IQ necessary to be successful in Electrical Engineering?

No, while a high IQ can be helpful, it is not a determining factor for success in Electrical Engineering. Many successful engineers have average IQs and instead excel in other important skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving.

4. Do I need to have a natural talent or aptitude for math and science to excel in Electrical Engineering?

Not necessarily. While a natural talent or interest in math and science can be helpful, it is not a requirement for success in Electrical Engineering. With hard work, dedication, and seeking assistance when needed, anyone can excel in these subjects.

5. Will struggling with certain concepts or courses in Electrical Engineering impact my career opportunities?

Not necessarily. While it is important to have a strong foundation in the fundamentals of Electrical Engineering, employers also value skills such as communication, teamwork, and adaptability. As long as you are able to demonstrate your abilities and determination, struggling with certain concepts or courses should not significantly impact your career opportunities.