AM radio signal superimpostion/modulation

In summary, the concept of wave superimposition is used to create AM radio waves by modulating the amplitude of the carrier frequency to be similar with the audio signal's amplitude over time. This results in a complex waveform with both sidebands, which can be analyzed using Fourier's Theorem. The equation A_c+A_s \cdot cos(2 \pi f_s t)) \cdot cos(2 \pi f_c t) represents this superimposition, with A representing amplitude, f representing frequency, c representing carrier, and s representing signal.
sillyquark

Homework Statement

Describe how the concept of wave superimposition is used to create AM radio waves.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

O.K, I am not sure that I understand how this works. In the picture attached it shows the carrier frequency inside of the audio signal. The amplitude changes over time, so is the amplitude not proportional to the wavelength or frequency? If that is the case then would I be correct in saying that constructive/destructive wave interference is used to superimpose the amplitude of the carrier frequency to be similar with the audio signal's wavelength. Wave demodulation for AM signals measures the amplitude over time so that the wavelength can be known. With the wavelength and speed of light one can calculate the frequency of the audio signal, which is then amplified and converted into sound through the speakers.

Is this more or less correct?

Attachments

• AM superimposition.png
    AM superimposition.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 693
Physics news on Phys.org
superimpose the amplitude of the carrier frequency to be similar with the audio signal's wavelength
Change the last word to "amplitude". AM is amplitude modulation, not frequency modulation. There is, of course a broadening of the frequency range from virtually a single carrier frequency to the range carrier - audioFreq to carrier + audioFreq, but you have not been asked about that.

So, superimposing the amplitude of the carrier frequency to be similar with the audio signal's amplitude/time gives us wavelength or frequency?

Dear sillyquark, AM wave is generated by modulating the carrier wave's amplitude proportional to the signal wave's instantaneous y offset from the x-axis (Suppose that you draw a standard Y-X coordinate to plot the signal wave), your attachment plot is an AM wave, with Both Side-Band

You didn't really answer my question, you just stated what the attachment displays.

sillyquark said:
You didn't really answer my question, you just stated what the attachment displays.

Sorry about that, I didn't get your idea just now.

I guess you're asking about this [tex]Y_{am}(t)=(A_c+A_s \cdot cos(2 \pi f_s t)) \cdot cos(2 \pi f_c t)[/tex] ?

I'm not familiar with Latex in this forum, it took me so much time to adapt to it...

So, superimposing the amplitude of the carrier frequency to be similar with the audio signal's amplitude/time gives us wavelength or frequency?
It doesn't "give us wavelength or frequency". It gives the complex waveform at the bottom of your attachment picture. It has the carrier frequency waveform modulated in amplitude according to the audio signal.

O.K, I understand the concept but not thoroughly. Thanks for the help, this is all I should need for the answer. Genxium, what are the variables in the equation you posted?

sillyquark said:
O.K, I understand the concept but not thoroughly. Thanks for the help, this is all I should need for the answer. Genxium, what are the variables in the equation you posted?

A : Amplitude , f: frequency , c: carrier , s: signal.

and this is the simpliest example while the signal wave is a sinusoid wave, but according to Fourier's Theorem, any real wave could be regarded as a superposition of many sinusoid waves, this basic form is still useful in analysis

Great, thanks, you've helped a lot.

genxium said:
A : Amplitude , f: frequency , c: carrier , s: signal.

and this is the simpliest example while the signal wave is a sinusoid wave, but according to Fourier's Theorem, any real wave could be regarded as a superposition of many sinusoid waves, this basic form is still useful in analysis

And, in this case, a standard simple identity involving [itex]\cos A \cos B[/itex] gives the superposition.

1. What is AM radio signal superimposition/modulation?

AM radio signal superimposition/modulation is a process in which a low frequency audio signal is combined with a high frequency carrier wave to create an AM (amplitude modulation) radio signal. This allows the audio signal to be transmitted wirelessly and received by a radio receiver.

2. How does AM radio signal superimposition/modulation work?

The audio signal is first amplified and then used to vary the amplitude of the high frequency carrier wave. This modulated carrier wave is then transmitted through the air and picked up by a radio receiver. The receiver then extracts the original audio signal from the modulated carrier wave using a demodulation process.

3. What is the purpose of AM radio signal superimposition/modulation?

The purpose of AM radio signal superimposition/modulation is to allow for the transmission of audio signals over long distances without the need for physical wires. This allows for widespread communication and broadcasting of news, music, and other forms of entertainment.

4. How is AM radio signal superimposition/modulation different from FM radio signal modulation?

AM radio signal superimposition/modulation differs from FM (frequency modulation) in the way the audio signal is encoded onto the carrier wave. In AM, the audio signal varies the amplitude of the carrier wave, while in FM, the audio signal varies the frequency of the carrier wave.

5. What are some common uses of AM radio signal superimposition/modulation?

AM radio signal superimposition/modulation is commonly used for broadcasting and receiving AM radio stations. It is also used for shortwave radio, aircraft communication, and in military communication systems. Additionally, AM radio signal modulation is used in certain types of medical equipment for transmission of data and signals.