Amount of Energy emitted from the sun to the earth

In summary, the sun emits a lot of energy in the form of radiation that falls on an area 1 meter squared on Earth.
merbear
[SOLVED] Amount of Energy emitted from the sun to the earth

Homework Statement

The Sun's surface temperature is 6000 K. Assume that the radiation emitted from the Sun moves radially outward from the Sun and that no radiation is absorbed between the Sun and Earth. How much energy in the form of radiation will fall per second on an area of 1 m2 on Earth, if that area is perpendicular to the straight-line path of the radiation? The radius of the Sun is 6.95×108 m and the distance from the Sun to Earth is 1.5 ×1011 m.

Homework Equations

I tried to use the dQ/dt= -k*A*1/L*deltaT, but I was unable to find a constant to use for k. After going through my notes, I couldn't find any other equation that looked relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the change in temperature would be minimal, since the temperature of the sun is much greater than that of the Earth -so I left the temperature at 6000K. I took the radius of the sun to find the area. And, plugged the rest of the numbers in accordingly.

dQ/dT= [-k((6.95E8)^2*pi) * 6000K]/1.5E11

However, I believe that this equation is not suited for this problem and more suited for heat transfer from one end of a rod to another (or something like that).
I don't know where to go from here- or since I don't think this is the correct equation, I don't think I know where to start in the beginning. I would appreciate any help in getting this problem started. Thank-you

-Meredith

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try using the Stefan-Boltzmann law:

[tex]L=4{\pi}R^2{\sigma}T^4[/tex]

Where L is luminosity, R is the radius of the stellar object, T is the temperature, and sigma is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan%E2%80%93Boltzmann_constant" )

and then the inverse square law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_square_law"

Last edited by a moderator:
Please check my answer for the amount of energy emitted from the sun to the earth

I used the L=4*pi*R^2 (sigma)*(T^4) to find the amount of radiation the entire body is emitting and I got 4.46E26.

I then said that L/SA=1m^2/X and solved for X; where SA is equal to 4*pi*(R^2+Distance):

4.46E26/(4*pi*(R+ 1.5E11)^2

I got that X equals 1.563E3 W, but I am still unsure of whether I did the problem correctly.

Thank you!

What is the amount of energy emitted from the sun to the earth?

The amount of energy emitted from the sun to the earth is approximately 3.8 x 10^26 watts.

How is the amount of energy from the sun measured?

The amount of energy from the sun is typically measured in watts (W) or joules per second (J/s).

Does the amount of energy from the sun vary?

Yes, the amount of energy from the sun can vary due to solar activity and other factors.

How does the amount of energy from the sun affect the earth's climate?

The amount of energy from the sun is one of the main factors that affects the earth's climate. Changes in the amount of energy can lead to variations in temperature and weather patterns.

What are the implications of a change in the amount of energy from the sun?

A change in the amount of energy from the sun can have significant impacts on the earth's ecosystems, including changes in plant growth, animal behavior, and ocean currents. It can also affect human activities such as agriculture and energy production.